• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell-Shoosmiths MBNA Account Claim Raised in Scottish Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell-Shoosmiths MBNA Account Claim Raised in Scottish Court

I've received a Scottish Small Claims pack from Shoosmiths looking to recover approx £2k in regards an old defaulted MBNA/Luma Credit Card Account which defaulted November 2019. Looking for guidance as to next steps. I believe this account may be statute barred by means of last payment/contact made with MBNA before raising of default, but need to confirm this by SAR with MBNA/Shoosmiths. Should I apply to both, or just one? Also paperwork from Court has last response date of 25th May which feels longer than it should be, so want to double check this isn't a typo also.

Tags: None

Send the SAR to MBNA.

Phone the Court to check the date, if it's May, at least you will have plenty of time to prepare you case.
    Also, to get the SAR information on last payment / written contact.

Comment

Ok it was actually a Capital One card (not MBNA) so I sent off a SAR to Capital One, and one to Lowell Portfolio as the owner of the debt, asking for copy agreement, statements and deeds of assignment etc.

I got this back from them…

The information you have requested would not fall within the scope of a data subject access request. Your former Capital One (Luma Credit Card) account, Lowell Reference xxxxxx, is being managed by one of our external collections partners Walker Love. You should therefore contact Walker Love directly to discuss this account. Their contact details are:

Walker Love

16 Royal Exchange Square
      Glasgow
      G1 3AB
      0330 678 0335

contact@walkerlove.com

Have I used the wrong request for this as thought a SAR was the correct way?

Comment

That is nonsense, send Capital One the following, make sure you get Proof of Postage, if they fail to provide the information, then a complaint should be lodged with the ICO-

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/ge...happy-with-it/

The following is the correct form -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

That’s what I thought, but wanted to double check.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

In terms of the small claims case against me, should I be raising a similar query against the solicitor representing? I’ve only received the standard court claim papers, with no evidence to the original agreement etc other than reference in forms.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo102938 View Post
              In terms of the small claims case against me, should I be raising a similar query against the solicitor representing? I’ve only received the standard court claim papers, with no evidence to the original agreement etc other than reference in forms.
              I'm not sure that will helpful.
              I take it you've filed a Defence

Comment

I have until 25th May so just making sure I have everything to make a decision on how best to approach.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo102938 View Post
                  I have until 25th May so just making sure I have everything to make a decision on how best to approach.
                  O.K.send the follow up SAR template to Capital One.

Comment

Just to update on progress (or lack of) - no further correspondence from Lowell, Capital One or Walker Love in regards SAR requests made and that has been 30 days now.

The court pack last response date to file a defence/acknowledge the case is the 16th May 2024 (not the 25th as previously stated, typo on my part) which is also when the debt becomes statute barred. Would this work in my favour if I stated as part of my defence I have no knowledge of the account in question, and no evidence has been supplied to me by way of a SAR and that the account details listed in claimants notes would suggest this debt would likely be considered statute barred (5 years under Scottish Law from last payment/acknowledgement).

Comment

Have you sent them a CCA request? - https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

It won't be statute barred because they've filed a Court claim against you.

In your Defence you can write that you made a SAR request to them, they haven't complied, they said ......................

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X