• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Could someone please give me some advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone please give me some advice?

About 5 years ago I got into a bit of a mess mentally and stopped paying a credit card with HSBC. The debt was passed on to Cabot and I was making small monthly payments. A few months ago I started struggling financially and my mental health was dipping again. I stopped the payments and stopped opening letters.

I now have a court letter from Nolans with 21 days to respond. What should i do? Is it too late to start making payments again.

I'm worried rhe take me to court and i lose my job and or house. I have a 2 yo to support.
    Tags: None

I should add, I am in Scotland and the amount on the letter is £5400

Comment

Hi Garry1981

Welcome to LB

Try to stay calm.

When you say a 'Court Letter' what does the letter say?

Comment

Hi ECHAT11

I am ar work and the letter is at home.

It came recorded delivery yesterday.

It is basically from my local sheriff court giving me 21 days to respond. There are forms inside and i have to let them know if I want to apply for time to pay or defend.

Comment

When was the account opened?

Fill in an income and expenditure form, you might need it later, make sure you take into account 'the cost of living', energy, food etc. To commit to paying an amount you can't afford each month.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

https://www.mygov.scot/respond-court-money

Comment

2017. Don't know the month. It's on the letter though.

I checked my credit report but cant find it.

Really have no idea what to do. Happy to contact them and offer to reopen a payment plan but with the court action am I too late?

Comment

Originally posted by Garry1981 View Post
              2017. Don't know the month. It's on the letter though.

I checked my credit report but cant find it.

Really have no idea what to do. Happy to contact them and offer to reopen a payment plan but with the court action am I too late?
              No, you aren't too late. I've posted a link, contact CAB Scotland, we rarely see Simple Procedure cases.

I can tell you to do this, do that, but don't want you to do the wrong thing.

Update when you've spoken to them.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I'll call them today.

If they would accept a payment plan then I'm happy to do this.

Shoukd i.do this via the rime to pay form from the court, nolams or cabot directly? If its cabot directly i can just call them this morning and agree something.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I'll call them today.

If they would accept a payment plan then I'm happy to do this.

Shoukd i.do this via the rime to pay form from the court, nolams or cabot directly? If its cabot directly i can just call them this morning and agree something.
                  I would call CAB Scotland, get detailed advice, phoning Cabot is the wrong thing to do.

You want to do everything in writing, that way there are no misunderstandings.

Comment

Great, thanks. I've arranged a callback with CAB. They are closed today.

Comment

Update the thread, once you've spoken to them.

Comment

Small update this morning. Spoke to CAB and have to meet with them on Friday. They thought at first this might be outwith the prescribed period but I have made 8 small payments to this in the last 18 month so essentially i have admitted liability.

I mentioned calling them to agree payment plan or request a reduced settlement figure and they said to try and see what they say. They refused both and said it was in the hands of the court.

Will update after speaking to CAB on Friday buy not lookong good.

Comment

Small update this morning. Spoke to CAB and have to meet with them on Friday. They thought at first this might be outwith the prescribed period but I have made 8 small payments to this in the last 18 month so essentially i have admitted liability.

I mentioned calling them to agree payment plan or request a reduced settlement figure and they said to try and see what they say. They refused both and said it was in the hands of the court.

Will update after speaking to CAB on Friday buy not lookong good.
                          O.K., It's going to be a waste of the Court's time as you've offered a monthly payment.

Fill in an I & E form, take that to CAB on Friday. Think 'cost of living', so you need to make allowances for everything.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X