• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overdales "Letter of Claim - 30 days to prevent legal action"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdales "Letter of Claim - 30 days to prevent legal action"

Enquiring on behalf of my son. Been receiving letter from Lowell's for a couple of years relating to an unpaid EDF utility bill. Goes back to a student house, son says he had agreed to pay broadband etc and a housemate would pay electricity.

He's adamant his name was never on the electricity bill and a year after they left the house we start getting letters demanding £2500. They've sent letters to different addresses ( none of which he lives at ) looking for him. We've not acknowledged any.

They've now sent this letter of claim and a reply form but there's no mention of a court on any of the forms.

We're debating sending a prove it letter... Any advice gratefully received
    Tags: None

Hi Bob

Welcome to LB

Who set up the EDF account? was it your son or the flat mate?

Is your son still in contact with the flatmate? You need to try to make contact and ask them to honor the agreement,write to them, keep Proof of Postage.

What might help is more information, EDF has 30 days to provide all the info on the account over a 6 year period, that might be the Proof you need, i.e. SAR request. You could send the following, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

You could send a dispute letter or prove it letter, there are templates on CAB's website, so they hold off any legal action and you get the SAR info, to see what is what.

Does 'Back-billing help in anyway? https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information...-billing-rules

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Bob

Welcome to LB

Who set up the EDF account? was it your son or the flat mate?

Is your son still in contact with the flatmate? You need to try to make contact and ask them to honor the agreement,write to them, keep Proof of Postage.

What might help is more information, EDF has 30 days to provide all the info on the account over a 6 year period, that might be the Proof you need, i.e. SAR request. You could send the following, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

You could send a dispute letter or prove it letter, there are templates on CAB's website, so they hold off any legal action and you get the SAR info, to see what is what.

Does 'Back-billing help in anyway? https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information...-billing-rules

thanks for the prompt reply

He has no idea where the housemate is now, she's made herself invisible which can't be easy these days. He says he knew nothing about it until a year later and his name was never on the bill, everything was in her name and other bills were in his.

EDF should have zero info on him, we never had any communication from them either, I suspect the landlord supplied the details to the debt company.

My instinct is they have nothing and just keep trying more dramatic letters and if they were going to court they'd have done so by now but my wife disagrees and wants to engage with them. I guess a prove it letter might show either way if he's liable.

No idea how they managed or were allowed to run up a 2500 bill mind, was only 12 months and way before the increases
      Last edited by Bob Nudd; 4th June 2023, 07:52:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Nudd View Post
        thanks for the prompt reply

He has no idea where the housemate is now, she's made herself invisible which can't be easy these days. He says he knew nothing about it until a year later and his name was never on the bill, everything was in her name and other bills were in his.

EDF should have zero info on him, we never had any communication from them either, I suspect the landlord supplied the details to the debt company.

My instinct is they have nothing and just keep trying more dramatic letters and if they were going to court they'd have done so by now but my wife disagrees and wants to engage with them. I guess a prove it letter might show either way if he's liable.

No idea how they managed or were allowed to run up a 2500 bill mind, was only 12 months and way before the increases

If he had an account, then they would have to supply data, you are saying they have nothing (they must be holding some data, even if it's wrong, otherwise he wouldn't be getting letters), if they send nothing that's a good indication that the account was never in his name, that way you can use the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (they are chasing your son for money he doesn't owe).

The bill is probably wrong, but would probably need looking into.
        Last edited by echat11; 4th June 2023, 12:18:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

If he had an account, then they would have to supply data, you are saying they have nothing (they must be holding some data, even if it's wrong, otherwise he wouldn't be getting letters), if they send nothing that's a good indication that the account was never in his name, that way you can use the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (they are chasing your son for money he doesn't owe).

The bill is probably wrong, but would probably need looking into.
          I'll start by asking them what they have, thanks. The utility company never sent anything, the first contact he had was from Lowells which is what makes me think the landlord has given details of everyone who lived there.

Comment

Update the thread when they respond.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X