• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Looks like I'm going to court - small claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like I'm going to court - small claims

Hi all would appreciate some advice.

I signed up to a car insurance that required a black box. I didn't realise. After 4 days I sent a notice to cancel and they never replied. This is within the 14 days. I sent their black box back. Then they came after me after 30 days saying it's cancelled and charged me £200+ on top of my £120 I already paid (as deposit on £550 a year insurance). They charged extra cancellation fees and for the box. I have emails saying they can see the box was never used. I refused to pay. This was quickly transferred to a debt collector and I ignored them. as I know I have the email asking to cancel. This was 2yrs ago

To be honest I thought they were just threatening and wouldn't take me to court for £308 total on which I see as quite opportunistic from them given the insurance firm behaviour. I believe it's gone through a few debt collectors. They sent a letters from Moriarty Law on behalf of JC International Acquisitions. I then had the County Court forms from Northampton. I filed a defense stating 14 day cooling off and that I have Emails communication.

I now have a letter from Moriarty saying they intend to proceed to court. Anything I should do to prep or make them not show up?

I have checked the Email on cancellation and it is clear I intend to cancel. They also admit I never installed the box so never used insurance. They basically ignored me until 14 days had passed then when I complained they said they would have to follow their standard cancellation policy.

Advice appreciated!

Tags: None

Make sure that you have evidence to prove everything you have said. Send the claimant's lawyers copies of that evidence.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks Atticus.

Do I have to send evidence prior?

they have sent none?

No proof of debt and no emails etc. Should I ask for this?

Can I just turn up with them and If I do send then how long can I wait prior?

thanks again.

Comment

Fill in the following, but leave out personal details, copy / paste back to this thread.

Received a claim? Yes/No:
        Issue Date:
        Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
        Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
        Claimant’s Name:
        Solicitors Firm:
        Original Creditor:
        Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
        What you have done so far:
        Any Other Information or Background Details:

They filed a claim against you, you acknowledged it, then defended it, they've responded to say they want to proceed. The next thing you should receive is a Directions Questionnaire (you request mediation), which needs to be filled in, send a copy to the Court and to their solicitors.

If mediation fails, then you have to prepare Witness Statements 14 days before the Hearing, the Court will instruct you, you follow their instructions.

There's quite a bit of Consumer Law to help you defend the claim.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/made

You need to send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.
        You missed the opportunity to send a CPR 31.14 request.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

If as you said in your first post you want to discourage these people from taking action then showing them your evidence, if it is as strong as you suggest, would be a fine idea.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            If as you said in your first post you want to discourage these people from taking action then showing them your evidence, if it is as strong as you suggest, would be a fine idea.
            Good idea, the OP also needs to deal with the claims, if and until the insurance company back down.

Comment

Thank you Echatt

Issue Date:
              Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
              Claimant’s Name: JC international
              Solicitors Firm: Moriarty Law
              Original Creditor: I Go (Wise insistence)
              Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):

defendent owes claimant (few hundred)
              Underwritten agreement with I Go dates 30/4/21 which was assigned to claimant on 17/12/21
              despite formal demand for payment the debt is unpaid
              And claims payment and interest pursuant to 1964 country court act.

as per OP i have defended forms and now have an email stating they will continue with court proceeding.

Comment

Thanks all for advice. Was away for the weekend. I will write a SAR and also send info of my evidence.

Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                  Fill in the following, but leave out personal details, copy / paste back to this thread.

Issue Date:
                  Claimant’s Name:
                  Solicitors Firm:
                  Original Creditor:

They filed a claim against you, you acknowledged it, then defended it, they've responded to say they want to proceed. The next thing you should receive is a Directions Questionnaire (you request mediation), which needs to be filled in, send a copy to the Court and to their solicitors.

If mediation fails, then you have to prepare Witness Statements 14 days before the Hearing, the Court will instruct you, you follow their instructions.

There's quite a bit of Consumer Law to help you defend the claim.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/made

You need to send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.
                  You missed the opportunity to send a CPR 31.14 request.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/
                  I think Regulation 6(1)(B) causes you a problem though doesnt it?
                  I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

If you cancel a car insurance after it has incepted you can be charged a "time on risk" premium as well as a cancellation fee.
                    That applies during the cooling off period as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeeky View Post
                      Thanks all for advice. Was away for the weekend. I will write a SAR and also send info of my evidence.

Appreciate it!
                      What does it say in their T & C's?

Some Telematics companies cancel the agreement if the Black Box isn't activated within 14 days.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/hand...COBS/7/1.html#

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X