• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received Court Judgement for parking fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received Court Judgement for parking fine

Hi
    I am looking for some advice.
    I received a court claim form issued 15 March regarding a parking ticket I received in October 2021 stating I incurred parking charge (PCN) as I had parked in breach of terms of parking stipulated on the signage where I was parked and I had not paid despite the demands.

This was the first time I was aware of any parking fine. I submitted an ‘acknowledgment of service’ saying I intended to defend the claim - this was submitted online on 28 March. I read the paperwork to mean I had 28 days to submit my defence from date of acknowledgment of service…the paperwork said within 28 days of the date of service. When I tried to submit my defence yesterday, I was unable to do so as a judgement had already been submitted. When I contacted the court they advised the date was from the ‘issue date’ so deadline was 17 April and as I had not submitted a defence, the claimants had submitted the judgement. Only options was to pay the fine which is now over £300 or to request judgement to be put aside which will cost me £275. I asked whether it would just be possible for me to submit my defence given this was my intention (without having to pay anything) and the letter had not been clear re deadline and it can easily be misinterpreted which is what I had done….the letter didn’t say deadline is 28 days from date this letter is issued but date of service which I took to meant date I submitted the acknowledgment of service.

I was advised there were no other options. Is there anything I can do? I was very anxious yesterday and obviously very upset as I know the fine should not have been issued…the land after the lamppost (where I was parked) is not monitored or patrolled by wardens and one other resident was provided with an email to say anyone can park here without receiving a ticket (although in the email this resident receive, it does not specifically mention the area, however she parks here everyday). I was also advised the same by a warden that was in the area ticketing other vehicles that were parked on the other side of the lamppost - this is monitored by wardens.

I note also various cars are parked where I was and none have ever received a fine and all of the tell me the same as above…all the residents here advise the same…there are also no signs where I was parked to mention anything about not being able to park in this space. Not only that, I was onky aware of the fine when I received the Claim Form on 15 March so prior to this, was unable to take any action.

I would be very grateful if anyone can provide some advice…I am struggling to understand what, if anything, I can do now that the judgement has been submitted, which was due to the fact the deadline for submitting defence was not clear.

Regards

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X