• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unreasonable fine After Red Light Offence but not driving through it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreasonable fine After Red Light Offence but not driving through it

Hi,
    This may be in the wrong section so please move if need be.

I received a notice of prosecution for failing to obey a traffic signal/ traffic light, pleaded guilty and received a £444.00 fine made up of £253.00 fine, a £90.00 costs and £101.00 surcharge for victim services.

The short story is as I approached a red light on my motorcycle I filtered to the font of the queue and just placed myself in front of the lead car. By doing this I took my bike over the solid stop line and then sat there waiting for the green light. Unknow to me, by going over the stop line I triggered the traffic camera.

When I received the NIP I pleaded guilty and had to complete a series of forms including a financial one showing my incomings and outgoings. I wrote in mitigation that I did admit to crossing the solid white line but to please note that I did not intend to ride through the red light I had just intended to sit at the front of the queue and wait for the green light.

I expected a £100.00 fine and three points but not £444.00 and three points.

Do you think the fine is unreasonable and should I appeal it, what are my chances of getting it reduced

Thanks for any advice
    Tags: None

Chance if getting it reduced are not very high as you committed the offence on camera.

Numbers seem off, did you reply to the S172 request to name the driver?

Looks like a failure to nominate.

Comment

I replied on line when I received the NIP and told them I was the rider.

Comment

Fine is based on weekly income. It should be a band A fine 50% of weekly income. Did you give them a weekly income? If not it is always deemed to be £440, Victim surcharge is set in stone and has to be added. £90 costs seems OK for a guilty plea (it is usually £85 in my court). Guidelines here: https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...-or-discharge/

Comment

I did complete a form showing my monthly income and expenditure, I guess they could work out my weekly income from that.

so in essence, my fine and the additional costs seem in line with current guidelines.

Comment

I would say so if your income is anything like £400 and a bit, Have a look at the guidelines and see what you think.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X