• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Expert Evidence for Small Claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expert Evidence for Small Claims

Hi

I am currently in dispute with a tradesman, a large part of which is over some tiling. The courts have said we need to have an expert report done. We have agreed to use The Tile Association, who are the leading body in such matters. They can offer a site visit at around £1,800. Or a desktop inspection at around £900. The court limit for the total amount recoverable is £750.

As such, I would like to go for the desktop study.

But the other party is insisting on the site visit.

I've made enquiries with the court, but have not heard back and in all honesty I don't think I'm likely to before the impending deadline.

I wondered if anyone has any advice please as to the best way forward with this?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Apply to court?

How much is at stake?

What alternative sources are there for such reports and what do they charge?

Comment

Many thanks for responding

"Apply to court?" I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. But to clarify, I have rung the courts and they said I must email. So I have done that. But last time I emailed it took a month to get a response.

"How much is at stake?" Approx. £3,500 in total, including fees being claimed for.

What alternative sources are there for such reports and what do they charge? Have not been able to find any. On top of that, the deadline for us to agree on an expert has passed.

Thanks again

Comment

If you and the other party are not able to agree, you will need to ask the court to decide and to appoint the expert.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks atticus It's an odd one because we have agreed the expert, just not the manner of the inspection.

The deadline for formally booking and giving the expert all the relevant information is Wednesday. And the court aren't willing to help by phone, and not responding to emails. So not sure how we go about asking the court in time - or for that matter - at all!

Thanks again
          Last edited by LegalBiggles; 9th October 2022, 15:06:PM. Reason: Court, not courts

Comment

You ask one Court (singular), being the court seised of the case, by making an application for directions, explaining the decision that is needed. You may also need to ask for the timetable for other things to be re-set.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sorry, I did mean court not courts and have amended my post accordingly.

Can an application for directions only be made by post? If so, if the deadline is Wednesday but the letter is not received by the court until after that, what would happen?

Many thanks

Comment

Hand delivery remains an option. Otherwise, First class stamp, tomorrow.

Comment

Sorry for all the return questions, but would you mind if I ask:

- Is the court likely to find it's own expert, or likely to choose between the two options on the table (The Tile Association doing a Site Visit vs Desktop Inspection)?

- Where the court gives a limit of £750 for the expert evidence, is that a limit per se, or a limit of the recoverable costs, beyond which you can spend as much as you like?

- If an application for directions is not made, and a decision is not reached between parties by the court deadline, what is the likely consequence?

Comment

The Court will not find an expert for you. It may say to go away and either agree or come back each with your own expert.

The 750 is a limit on the recoverable costs.

Both sides have great difficulty proving their case.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
                      Both sides have great difficulty proving their case.
                      I feel my evidence is really strong, especially on the technical and "job performance" side of things. In fact, I was really surprised when the court ordered an expert witness, especially seeing as they had not (have not) seen any evidence.

Thanks for all the great help

Comment

And if each side is unable to prove its case, the party with the burden of proof loses.

Comment

Oh no, half of my previous response disappeared. I'll have to return to that later.

But RE your point, that's the claimant as far as I know (the other party)?

Comment

Are you sure? If you are the one raising issues about the quality of work done, the burden of proving that the work was unacceptable will fall on you.

(I have made massive assumptions about the nature of the issues in your case. Those assumptions could be wrong.)

Comment

I'm not certain, but think that's what the judge said at the pre-trial hearing, as far as I can remember (I was quite nervous!)

So it is not always the case that the claimant has the burden of proof put on them?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X