• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received a county court claim which is a lie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received a county court claim which is a lie

I received a county court claim from a family member regarding a debt of £2000.

I was paying as agreed, £250 per month in instalments (£1000).

We eventually had a disagreement and stopped speaking to one another so I paid back the remainder in cash (£1000) and thought nothing of it.

this person is now trying to say I owe them £1000 when I don’t?

I am of course going to dispute the claim, but wanted to know where I stand with this. How can they prove I did not pay the debt back in full?

For a bit of context, this person is unstable due to their drug habit and that’s why we stopped speaking. I can only assume that this is their way of trying to get back at me over our disagreement?
    Tags: None

Sad when families fall out, but your problem will be proving you have paid it back
    Did you get a receipt for the cash payment, or was there a witness?
    Perhaps you have a bank record showing you withdrew £1,000 which might then have been given to your relative

Comment

Hi there,

No, unfortunately I borrowed the £1000 off another family memeber and have been paying them back in instalments of £150 per month instead which I do have proof of.

Comment

To be clear:
        You borrowed £2000 from a relative
        You repaid £1000 in 4 instalments of £250

You then borrowed £1000 from another relative which you used to repay the outstanding £1000 from the original loan.
        The lender of the original loan is claiming you still owe him £1000

Does the second lender know you borrowed the money to repay the first loan?
        Did he witness you repaying the first loan?

All these loans were in cash?

You admit the loan existed, but without direct proof of repayment it will be decided on which of you is the more convincing in court before the judge

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Yes all of this was in cash, so no proof of me receiving the loan but also no proof of me paying the second half back.

The second lender is aware of reasons for borrowing the cash.

Me and the original lender fell out, so I paid them off in full to cut ties and continue to pay back in instalments to the second lender.

I have not received any evidence that I owe this money, they are also claiming loss of rent money which I have no idea what that even means?
          They claim universal credit and have their rent paid for by the government.

Thanks

Comment

I guess your witness will be the second lender if you are taken to Court They would then establish the loan it is not certain proof but at least you will have a backup.

Comment

and in your defence you just deny the claim for loss of rent.
              Obviously the claimant has not followed the preaction protocols which would have given you sufficient details to know what the "loss of rent" claim is about

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X