• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

lI have had a Claim for Service Charges issued against me. The solicitors for the Management Company say that they issued the Claim and have no knowledge of the signed Admission Letter which I sent to their offices. This letter was drawn by them and gives the authority for my lender to pay the outstanding charges. They are aware that by issuing proceedings they can claim their contractual costs that is stated on one of the provisions contained within my lease. I sent the Letter of authority to their business address and because I paid at my local Post Office counters by debit card I have payment proof supported by a letter from my bank to prove the transaction. I feel that they have done this to recover more costs [an extra £2000]. My understanding is that my letter is deemed served after two business days. Surely I cannot be held responsible for post that they are not receiving. The letter was sent on 10th November and their claimed served in January. Can someone help as I am powerless to do anything once the document was posted.
    Tags: None

Hi HARRIET 69

a) What you need to do is Acknowledge the claim online, that will give you an extra 14 days to work on you defence, so that 28 days in total, plus 5 days.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

b) Send their solicitorsa CPR 31.14 Request, they have 14 days to provide documents they are relying to make the claim. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

c) Send the management company a SAR, they have 30 days to provide all the details on your account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Make sure you get your defence in on time, so 28 days from today, note it in your diary

des8 please can you take a look.

Comment

I'm concerned that filing a defence will incur more costs as they can add all costscon the action under the provision contained in the lease.
      Also in law does the admission form that i sent to them stand as served ?

Comment

Originally posted by Harriet 69 View Post
        I'm concerned that filing a defence will incur more costs as they can add all costscon the action under the provision contained in the lease. Also in law does the admission form that i sent to them stand as served ?
        If you don't defend it, they will more then likely request a Default Judgement. You sent it, you have proof you sent it. They by starting proceedings are saying they didn't receive it (it might be a play by them to get the extra £2000). You have good evidence that you sent it.

Celestine Can you please take a look.

Comment

Yes there is case law and also the Interpretation Act.
          Will a DJ on balance of probabilities accept that the document was sent? I have this morning received confirmation from my bank stating the time and date of the transaction at the Post Office. Surely the only onus on me is to correctly address the letter which I have a copy.

Comment

Yes there is case law and also the Interpretation Act.
            Will a DJ on balance of probabilities accept that the document was sent? I have this morning received confirmation from my bank stating the time and date of the transaction at the Post Office. Surely the only onus on me is to correctly address the letter which I have a copy.
            Judges are 'fickle', this is a pretty straight forward matter, not complex. So I would say so. Did you get Proof of Postage?

Comment

Unfortunately not but my bank have sent me confirmation of the transaction at the Post Office.
              surely this is more than adequate evidence

Comment

Also does anyone know how long the waiting list is at the moment for a case to be heard in a Small Claims Track

Comment

Also does anyone know how long the waiting list is at the moment for a case to be heard in a Small Claims Track
                  There is a back log, you won't get a indicative answer to that question. It was in November, you could see if the Post Office has CCTV from that period, the counters are usually covered. You could hand the Post Office a SAR request for the CCTV for that date and time, that might of captured your envelope with address.

SAR template in post 2, worth making an enquiry.

Comment

Surely deemed service has to be in line with CPR
                    Also most solicitors, Court and HMRC send all their post by Royal Mail. The onus if the addressee not the sender surely. I'm powerless to dobsnything once posted

Comment

You must defend. Your proof of postage via your bank should convince a Judge. You could also consider a partial admittal and pay the portion you agreed in the pre-action protocol letter. Then defend the rest.

Is the claim total over 10k?

Claims are taking around 1 yr plus to get to hearing.

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X