• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court defence lowell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court defence lowell

Hi All,

I've done the preliminaries with lowell and after 6 months and the court ordering that lowell send a full particulars of claim, lowell eventually provided some documentation. I did notice the following in what they provided. For shop direct they didnt provide a copy of the default notice just a screen shot showing the account in default. Additionally for both accounts I there was no evidence I had been notified that the accounts had been transferred to lowell within the 7 days stipulated by the property act of 1925. I've written a defence, would like some feedback before I print it out and post it tomorrow. Its due in by thursday but with the postal system being the way it is I'd rather it get there early rather than late! Half tempted to drop it into the court as its within walking distance.

IN THE COUNTY COUNTY COURT AT XXXXXXX CLAIM NO : XXXXXXXXX
    BETWEEN

LOWELL PORTFOLIO LTD
    Claimant
    -and-

XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Defendant

DEFENCE
    1. The defendant denies all claims unless specifically admitted in this defence.
    2. The defendant after originally requesting documentation from the claimant in this matter has finally received the requested documentation after some months and is now able to submit a defence.
    3. The defendant denies these debts are legally enforceable due to the reasons stated in turn below:
    ACCOUNT 1
    1. Account 1 as described in the particulars of claim is for a catalogue credit agreement originally entered into with Shop Direct Finance Ltd. It is admitted this agreement was entered into as per claimant’s exhibit DD1.
    2. The defendant does not recall ever receiving a default notice for this account. Whilst the claimant has provided Exhibit DD2, this fails to provide evidence that the original creditor served a correctly worded and formatted default notice on the defendant as per the requirements of section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act of 1974, and hence the debt is not legally enforceable through the courts.
    3. The claimant has not provided a deed of assignment proving that ownership of the debt of transferred from shop direct finance ltd to Lowell Portfolio Ltd, and if this was a legal or equity transfer which would enable the claimant to pursue legal action to recover the debt.
    4. The claimant has provided a notice of assignment they sent to the defendant dated on the 23rd of September 2019, acknowledging that the debt was purchased on the 09th of September2019. The property act of 1925 stipulates that the debtor must be informed within 7 days of the transference of the debt with 7 days for the debt to be legally enforceable. The claimant has not proven that the defendant was informed within 7 days that the debt had been transferred to Lowell Portfolio Ltd and is legally unenforceable.

ACCOUNT 2
    1. Account 2 as described in the particulars of claim is for a credit card agreement originally entered into with Capital One (Europe) plc. It is admitted this agreement was entered into as per claimant’s exhibit DD3.
    2. The claimant has not provided a deed of assignment proving that ownership of the debt of transferred from Capital One (Europe) plc to Lowell Portfolio Ltd, and if this was a legal or equity transfer which would enable the claimant to pursue legal action to recover the debt.
    3. The claimant has provided a notice of assignment seemingly sent from Capital One (Europe) plc however it is undated. They have also provided a copy of a notice of assignment sent from Lowell Porfolio Ltd dated the 22nd May 2020, stating the debt had been transferred from Capital One (Europe) Ltd on the 30th April 2020. The property act of 1925 stipulates that the debtor must be informed within 7 days of the transference of the debt with 7 days for the debt to be legally enforceable. The claimant has not proven that the defendant was informed within 7 days that the debt had been transferred to Lowell Portfolio Ltd and is legally unenforceable.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X