• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need stronger Defence for court claim from ex-client, possibly 'trying it on'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need stronger Defence for court claim from ex-client, possibly 'trying it on'

I am defending a county court claim, and
    need to know my possible options - or need
    to file a better Defence...

£10k-plus was paid to me by a client - now
    the claimant - in 2017 for business coaching
    advice. This client did not really follow-through
    on my advice/process - did not take any action -
    and has now made a claim, implying that I mis-sold
    my service, etc.

Prior to this claim, I heard nothing from them for
    about 3 years - so they may just be trying it on...

In July, an Order was made by a Judge at a
    County Court - for the claimant to file an amended
    claim. The initial particulars of claim was struck out
    ("not comply with CPR 16.4 and do not disclose
    any reasonable basis for bringing the claim")

The claimant's solicitor have recently sent me
    an Amended particulars of claim - which seem
    to ramble somewhat...

Also, the claimant's solicitor is pressing for
    my home address. The court already has this
    address. The claimant so far has served docs
    via email. Can I provide a business address -
    or respond by email only?

Their claim is focused too much on my PROPOSAL
    sent in March 2017. This was NOT an agreement
    nor a contract...

Looks like my likely option is to file a stronger
    Amended Defence - along with a request to strike out
    this claim...

Any other ideas which may be helpful here?

Tags: None

If they are claiming against the business then give them the business address.

Comment

In order to obtain any sensible input here, it is advisable to post up a redacted copy of the amended POC. Presumably, you have been permission to amend your defence, with a deadline - what is that deadline?

Is the claim against you as a sole trader or a limited company?

Comment

Thanks, Efpom...

I need to file amended Defence by 31 August - as a sole trader.

Here is claimant's amended POC:

1. The Claimant claims return of monies given by her to the Defendant regarding an
        agreement between them. The Claim is based on both a written Proposal document
        provided by the Defendant, and email representations made by the Defendant.

2. Pursuant to CPR 16.7.3 (1) the Claimant attaches a copy of the said Proposal in
        exhibit marked ‘A’. In so far as CPR 16.7.5 and 16.8.2 (3) (4) and (7) may apply, the
        Claimant attaches in exhibit marked ‘B’ a table of emails between the Parties with
        the Claimant’s comments as to the Defendant’s breaches, failings and
        misrepresentations.

3. Regarding paragraph 1 of the Defence, the reason why the Defendant has received
        an email from the Court is that he has refused to provide the Claimant with his
        2 address in a presumed attempt to avoid service of Court process which inter alia
        explains the delay in issuing proceedings (fully addressed in paragraph 9 below).

4. Regarding paragraph 3 of the Defence, the Defendant is fully aware of the Claimant
        and the type of agreement in this matter and reference is made to exhibit ‘A’.

5. In reference to this document the Claimant would not define or describe the
        agreement as a ‘business coaching agreement’ but a full business development and
        promotional agreement

6. Regarding paragraph 5 of the Defence, the Claimant emphatically denies that a full
        business service was provided and will say, and provide full evidence upon
        Discovery, that the Defendant was woefully inexperienced in the luxury yacht
        business sector. The Claimant now understands that she was a victim of what can
        only be described as a scam perpetrated by the Defendant. The Claimant will rely
        upon the following breaches of Agreement by the Defendant.

6.1 The Defendant discussed the Claimant’s aims and goals and experience in her
        proposed new business venture of becoming a broker/selling luxury yachts
        focusing on the ‘’£1 - 50 million per unit sector’’ (in reference to the Defendant’s
        Proposal) but the Defendant failed to recognise and advice the Claimant that,
        despite her passion in this venture, she had absolutely no experience or business
        connections in this niche sector.

6.2 The Claimant will say that this was intentional as the Defendant was only
        interested in receiving £13k for his services which he would have reasonably
        known was doomed to fail because:

6.3 The Defendant had no experience or understanding of this type of industry
        which is highly lucrative and thereby extremely difficult to penetrate,
        particularly as the potential customers are high net worth individuals

6.4 The Defendant had no connections or contacts in this sector which may have
        assisted the Claimant in making inroads into her new venture.

6.5 The Defendant naively proposed the usual business networking approaches of
        launching a new website and social media campaigns such as Facebook, LinkedIn
        etc, not knowing that this approach would fail because of 6.3

6.6 The Claimant puts the Defendant to strict proof the attached Proposal is indeed
        a tailor made plan as it appears to be a standard template with words altered or
        amended to fit the Claimant’s business. The proposal is generic and lacks specific
        detail.

6.7 The Claimant will say this (and other proposal points) are meaningless and
        shows reliance upon jargonism as opposed to a precise detailed action plan.

6.8 The Claimant will say that the Defendant was out of his depth in this matter,
        should have advised and both and he and the Claimant did not have any
        experience in this sector, should not have entered into any agreement and
        should not have taken her money when he clearly knew he would not be able to
        deliver upon his promises and representations made to the Claimant.
        In so far as CPR 16.7.5 and 16.8.2 (3) (4) and (7) may apply, the Claimant attaches in exhibit
        marked ‘B’ a table of emails between the Parties with the Claimant’s comments in respect of
        the Defendant’s conduct which constitute breaches, failings and misrepresentations.

7. Regarding paragraph 6 of the Defence, the Claimant will say that she was given no
        opportunity by the Defendant for a ‘’cooling off period’’ and insisted upon payment
        immediately upon meeting the Claimant.

12. Regarding paragraph 8 of the Defence, the Defendant is put to strict proof at the
        final hearing to:

12.1 Itemise the Claimant’s failures ‘’to take commercial steps and follow a
        business process’’

18. Regarding paragraph 12 of the Defence, at this early stage it would be
        disproportionate under CPR 1.1 and the overriding objective to allow the Defendant
        any costs of amending his Defence, particularly when he is unrepresented at this
        stage. On balance any amending of the Defence should be on a no costs basis.
        19. The Claimant also claims interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Court Act
        1984 at the rate of 8% for such period as the Court shall order.
        20. The Claimant claims full legal costs under CPR 46 from 19 July 2021 and also claims
        costs of issue.
        Statement of Truth under County Court Civil Procedure Rule 22

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X