• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

'Test' Small Claims Court Claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Test' Small Claims Court Claims

Hi

A claimant believes he is entitled to the repayment of the deficit in the amounts of regular sums paid by the defendant & received by the claimant
    going back several years but not more than the statute bar of 6 years, e.g. paid £50/week but considers entitled to £60/week, hence claim for 1 year is £520.
    Is the claimant able to issue a 'test' case, say, limiting the claim to the first year to limit legal costs, the work involved gathering the evidence, etc
    and then if successful, issue a further claim to cover the remainder of the term?
    So, say, claim for 2019 initially, then claim for earlier years, say, 2014 to 2019.
    Tags: None

I think it might well be considered an abuse of process but
    tagging R0b

Does this overlap with your ET claim?

Comment

It would be res judicata, meaning the dispute has already been decided as a matter of finality and the same issue cannot be re-litigated.

Limiting your claim to one year is a choice you make, and what you would be seeking to do is probably an abuse and I would bet any claim following the first would be met with resistance and possibly costs against you too if the defendant is successful.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi DES8 & ROB

It is linked but obviously a separate claim - to be clear, I am the claimant in the ET Case; the defendant in the small claim.

ROB: Thank you very much for your explanation.

I hope the following reason would be applicable in my case:

'The claim is of such nature as could have been joined in the first action'

Comment

Hi

I have the CVP trial this coming Monday.
          The judge ordered in the Allocation Order:

'The Claimant must prepare a digital bundle in .pdf format containing all relevant documents and must file it at Court by email and send copies to the parties no later than 48 hours before the hearing.

I have not received it. I did receive some documents a couple of weeks ago by post but no witness statement in the prescribed form, as required,i.e.

5. Witness statements must:

a) Start with the name of the case and the claim number;

b) State the full name and address of the witness;

c) Set out the witness's evidence clearly in numbered paragraphs on numbered pages;

d) End with this paragraph: 'I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth'

Any ideas on the judge's might do or say on Monday.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X