• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

family arrangement gone bad

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • family arrangement gone bad

    Hello, I wonder if anyone can tell me if there is a duty solicitor that can speak on my behalf, if going to a fast track trial? I am in the middle of an awful case, where I have already expended 6000 in legal fees, and cannot afford any more, in a case whereby my half brother has made up a fictitious amount of rent that is owed to him for a property belonging to him, that he let us live in. It started as a possession claim, with no rent being claimed for; we gave up possession; then we disagreed over the costs, he go to amend his claim and is now asking for just under 25k in rent.

    I am stressed to bits with the whole thing, as this has rumbled on for a year now. i worked 7 day weeks pretty much most of last year to pay to defend this, and i literally don't have the energy to carry on with that level of 65 hour weeks at work to pay for it. We are over the threshold for legal aid, on an average salary and the claimant is a high earning individual who has used a solicitor and barrister the whole way through.

    There was no tenancy agreement, all repairs to the property were done by us for 9 years that we lived there, no gas safety checks were ever done, (it wasn't a tenancy, it was a family arrangement) The house concerned was the house we all grew up in, which the half brother managed to persuade my parents to "sell" to him. Following the death of my mother, I obtained probate and started to figure out that things with the house sale weren't quite as they should be, at this point when i started to ask questions, my family find ourselves with court action to evict us, followed by a vindictive claim for rent, only asked for after the event.

    If i prepare my case, will there by someone that can speak on my behalf? I have managed to let my emotions get the better of me in each hearing so far, and we have a trial of a day to contend with.I have never been in court before this, so don't know what to expect at a trial. Any advice on an organisation that may be able to help me, or what to expect on the day? thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


1 of 2 < >


Pre-Action Letters
First Steps
Check dates
Acknowledge Claim
CCA Request
CPR 31.14 Request
Subject Access Request Letter
Example Defence
Set Aside Application
Witness Statements
Directions Questionnaire
Statute Barred Letter

If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
2 of 2 < >

Need Formal Help?

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm