• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil Court Case - Advice on Procedures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Court Case - Advice on Procedures

Good Afternoon,
    Please can someone assist me with a query?

I am helping my Brother defend a case raised against him for allegations of theft with a previous employer. The case did start through the Small Claims route but has been transferred to the Fast-Track.

A preliminary hearing was held a few weeks ago and the Claimant was allowed to amend their statement of case. As a result, we also had an opportunity to amend our defence. We obtained legal advice and a Defence was drafted by a Solicitor. We submitted the Defence to the Court along with a counterclaim.

When we submitted the Defence, I had noticed that the 'Statement of Truth' paragraph provided by our Solicitor did not comply with the new rules in accordance with the CPR. As a result, I amended the Statement of Truth quickly and resubmitted this to the Court on 15/09/2020.

The Claimant's Solicitor has replied to the amended Defence and Counterclaim today (16/09/2020) and there is a paragraph contained stating that as the Statement of Truth does not comply with the CPR rules, the Defence and Counterclaim should be struck out - interestingly enough, the defence is dated 15/09/2020 yet was sent to my Brother and the Court today (16/09/2020).

I guess the purpose of the post here is to ask for some advice - given that we spotted the error and remedied it almost immediately on 15/09/2020 - will this stand weight should the Court consider the strike-out request? Also - the reply to the Defence and Counterclaim was sent via email today (16/09/2020) to the Court and to my Brother, yet the Defence is dated 15/09/2020 - do we need to do anything here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X