• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Discontinuation.

    I have been working with someone who has been having issues with their former landlord.

    The landlord had previously brought a claim to court against them for rent arrears and admin fees, which was defended with a counter claim for disrepair and failing to provide prescribed information under s213(6) of the Housing Act 2004. The landlord discontinued all of their claim and settled the counter claim. The settlement made no reference to the outstanding rent arrears.

    The landlord then brought a seperate action after the tenant had moved out for the outstanding rent arrears and admin fees. The rent arrears were largely the same as the previous claim along with an amount which was more than the outstanding rent in late fees and admin fees. The landlord did not request permission of the court to begin proceedings to begin this action which arose out of facts similar to the first discontinued claim.

    The tenant put in a defence against this, citing that the landlord had made a claim on largely the same facts as before in terms of the rent, that the fees did not comply with the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and that the claimant had failed to obtain permission of the courts to begin another claim (since the last claim was discontinued and they had made a defence against it).

    A trial date was allocated and the landlord failed to pay the trial fee, which resulted in the claim being struck out automatically, a month after it was struck out, the landlord successfully applied to set aside the judgement and the claim reinstated, however they did not pay the outstanding trial fee until a further month later.

    I have helped this tenant successfully apply to set aside that judgement and have the claim struck out again, as the landlord failed to provide any evidence of the reasons why he failed to pay the trial fee by the deadline and that the reasons given were did not show any good cause for his failure to act, he had significant time to pay the fee, the deadline was only a week into the lockdown and he had a month prior to this to pay it (he also had access to email and cheque facility so he could have contacted the court or sent the cheque on the day that lockdown was announced, the court accepted both of these arguments). The claim has been struck out again as the Judge agreed that the landlord failed to comply with the CPR and also had no good reason to fail to act.

    The tenant is now concerned that the landlord may make another attempt at this, whether that be to set aside this judgement or to begin new proceedings. It would be good to hear some views on this?
    Last edited by Ted Maul; 11th August 2020, 14:16:PM.
    Tags: court, legal

  • #2
    I am law students and i prepared a thesis on discontinuation law.. The dissertation proposal help college going students and provides professional writing skills. You can avail these services.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


    1 of 2 < >


    Pre-Action Letters
    First Steps
    Check dates
    Acknowledge Claim
    CCA Request
    CPR 31.14 Request
    Subject Access Request Letter
    Example Defence
    Set Aside Application
    Witness Statements
    Directions Questionnaire
    Statute Barred Letter

    If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

    NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
    Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

    Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

    If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

    We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
    If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
    2 of 2 < >

    Need Formal Help?

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm

    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm