• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

N244 and Application for Strike Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N244 and Application for Strike Out

Hi All,
    Please can someone help me?
    I am helping a family member with a Money Claims claim that was submitted by an ex-employer.* Within the defence, I noted that we want to submit an application for strike-out along with reasons (I won't go into those on here).
    However, the Claimant's solicitor has just emailed stating that I should have completed a N244 form and made an application directly to the Court. My question here is - am I out of time? It is clear from the defence that this was what we wanted to do - but I guess I didn't complete the N244 form that should have been submitted alongside.* The reason why I didn't do this is because I wasn't aware I had to complete the N244 form - I am not legally qualified.*
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Hi, it's not clear what it is you are asking or even if there is a question.

Yes the solicitor is right, the general rule is that if you want the court to do something, you need to make an application. General applications for strike out use the N244 form and at a cost of £255. If you don't make an application to the court, then it will not consider your request because you didn't follow the correct process.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hi, it's not clear what it is you are asking or even if there is a question.

Yes the solicitor is right, the general rule is that if you want the court to do something, you need to make an application. General applications for strike out use the N244 form and at a cost of £255. If you don't make an application to the court, then it will not consider your request because you didn't follow the correct process.
      Thanks Rob.

Apologies - let me try rephrasing (sorry, been a long day!)

So - a family member received a Claim from an ex-employer. Within the Defence that I submitted on behalf of my family member, I stated that I wanted to make an application to the Court to strike the claim out for various reasons.* However, I guess my question is - should I have submitted the N244 form along with the Defence? If so, then I haven't done this. Then in that case - am I too late? The deadline for submitting the defence was 30 March 2020 - we are obviously past that date now.*

Many thanks.*

Comment

The defence and an application to strike out are not mutually exclusive. Usually a strike out application would be made at the early stages of proceedings rather than just before the hearing, but it is fine to make that application after the defence has been filed.

Are you asking to strike out part of the claim or all of it? If the latter, have you considered summary judgment?
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpig_99 View Post

Thanks Rob.

Apologies - let me try rephrasing (sorry, been a long day!)

So - a family member received a Claim from an ex-employer. Within the Defence that I submitted on behalf of my family member, I stated that I wanted to make an application to the Court to strike the claim out for various reasons. However, I guess my question is - should I have submitted the N244 form along with the Defence? If so, then I haven't done this. Then in that case - am I too late? The deadline for submitting the defence was 30 March 2020 - we are obviously past that date now.

Many thanks.
          Thanks again Rob - it would be all of the claim... please can you explain the summary judgment part?

Comment

Similar, but not the same as striking out and are commonly used together. If you want to compare, I suggest you read CPR 3.4 (link here) and CPR 24.2 (link here). One thing to be aware of is that a court would only strike out generally tends to be more procedural issues and used as a means of last resort whereas a summary judgment is more concerned about the prospects of success.

Neither are easy hurdles to overcome so you may want to get the facts and evidence straight before you consider going down that route. As these types of applications don't fall within the small claims track, there is a risk that if unsuccessful you could be liable for costs (the family member).
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
              Similar, but not the same as striking out and are commonly used together. If you want to compare, I suggest you read CPR 3.4 (link here) and CPR 24.2 (link here). One thing to be aware of is that a court would only strike out generally tends to be more procedural issues and used as a means of last resort whereas a summary judgment is more concerned about the prospects of success.

Neither are easy hurdles to overcome so you may want to get the facts and evidence straight before you consider going down that route. As these types of applications don't fall within the small claims track, there is a risk that if unsuccessful you could be liable for costs (the family member).
              Thanks for your help Rob. *Please can you help me with another question?

When I submitted the defence, the Particulars stated that I wish to make an application to strike out the Claimants claim. I then provided the reasons why. A few weeks had passed - *new evidence came to light that strengthened the grounds as to why I wanted to strike out - this new evidence wasn’t available at the time as this evidence was sent to me as part of a subject access request. *I then submitted this to the Court. Based on your helpful advice, I’ve now submitted the N244 to make an application to strike out - my question is - this new evidence - because this was submitted before I submitted the N244, do I need to request permission from the C’s Solicitor to add this into the claim, and if he refuses or doesn’t respond, then I submit a new N244 with an application to amend?

Many thanks

Comment

Like I said before, the defence and strike out are not mutually exclusive and it's irrelevant what you've put in the defence because the judge wont treat it as a strike out application..since it's in your defence.

You dont need permission to file a strike out application. N244 Applications for strike outs need to be supported by evidence, have you not submitted a witness statement and attached evidence to that or is it just the application you've sent off?

If it's just the application you sent, I'm not sure how the judge will be able to consider your request without evidence and you may just run yourself the risk of having the application dismissed.
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

A strike out application will nearly always be an oral hearing (possibly a telephone hearing). You will need to file and serve a detailed witness statement referencing the legal grounds on which you deem the claim defective etc and also file and serve exhibits in support, and a draft order. You can also file and serve a schedule of your costs. Strike out apps are bold steps to take! On what grounds do you intend to strike out?

Comment

Originally posted by GardenBee View Post
                    A strike out application will nearly always be an oral hearing (possibly a telephone hearing). You will need to file and serve a detailed witness statement referencing the legal grounds on which you deem the claim defective etc and also file and serve exhibits in support, and a draft order. You can also file and serve a schedule of your costs. Strike out apps are bold steps to take! On what grounds do you intend to strike out?
                    Hi GardenBee - please can I private message you with this information as I'd rather not post on a public forum from an identity perspective?*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X