• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent help requested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help requested

Hello, I'm posting on behalf of a relative who has received a court claim. The relative is elderly and disabled and very frightened by this situation. I'm unwilling to post details publicly but would be very grateful if someone here could help - I have no legal knowledge but am trying to build a defence and would very much appreciate guidance. No one in our family is in a position to afford hiring any kind of legal help, we are mostly of pension age with no other income. I have all the relevant paperwork (I think) and have already started to write a defence. If it is helpful to know, this case is not a bank loan/credit card/parking ticket issue.

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: February 2020
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : 800
    Claimant’s Name:
    Solicitors Firm:
    Original Creditor:
    Original Debt*: 700
    Particulars of Claim:*
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): No
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details:
    Tags: None

cannot comment on lack of information.//. who?* solicitors?? what it is all about ?? * unless we know what this is all about then sorry we cannot guess/advise, another thing we state no identification numbers/names so next move?

Comment

The claimant doesn't appear to have a solicitor, my relative can't afford one. The amount claimed is the bill for repairs to a house that were not carried out professionally and caused further damage - therefore it wasn't paid, hence the court claim. I'm unwilling to publicly publish much more as my relative already feels that they have been intimidated by the claimant, so I'm sure you can understand my reluctance. After reading a number of posts on this forum I understood that it was sometimes ok for peoples issues to be discussed in further detail in private messages, is this not the case ? If it's not then I apologise. All I really wanted was for someone with knowledge I don't have to take a look at what I had compiled as a defence and make sure that I was on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by riverwalker View Post
        The claimant doesn't appear to have a solicitor, my relative can't afford one. The amount claimed is the bill for repairs to a house that were not carried out professionally and caused further damage - therefore it wasn't paid, hence the court claim. I'm unwilling to publicly publish much more as my relative already feels that they have been intimidated by the claimant, so I'm sure you can understand my reluctance. After reading a number of posts on this forum I understood that it was sometimes ok for peoples issues to be discussed in further detail in private messages, is this not the case ? If it's not then I apologise. All I really wanted was for someone with knowledge I don't have to take a look at what I had compiled as a defence and make sure that I was on the right track.
        Private messages generally dont help, no one can check the advice you are receiving.

Better to deal with issues on the forum in my opinion.

Anyway it seems a straightforward case, if it was repairs on a house the trader has a duty to carry out the repairs with reasonable care and skill, this is an implied term in any contract between a trader and consumer. If they failed to carry out the repairs with reasonable care and skill it would be a breach of contract and you would be able to use that to defend the claim
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Would this still apply if there was no written contract for the work ? The claimant stated on the court paperwork that no damage was done and that my relative has refused to pay. This has been going on for some time - a negotiation was attempted by my relative initially but the claimant didn't respond. Then, after no contact from the claimant, my relative has received a number of solicitors letters (from different firms) on behalf of the claimant - all ended up not pursuing the case. Now a court claim. My relative is very stressed by this and I'm doing my best to try to help.

Comment

yes the Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers most consumer trader relationships. I must admit with the limited info it is hard to advise but yes in principle it would
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank you for your time and responses. What info would you need in order to help further ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X