• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Court Claim for Credit Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Court Claim for Credit Card

Hey there,

I recieved a county court claim from Lowell for an old credit card.

I left it a bit late to respond so copied a defence from a template on here.

I received this email from Lowell :

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS
    We write with regard to the above referenced matter and further to your Defence to the claim dated 4 February 2020, the contents of which are duly noted.
    We believe that the content of the Defence filed may have been sourced from a generic template on the Internet and, whilst our client understands the concern that may be caused as a result of County Court proceedings being issued, our client would request that you engage with us and provide further clarification as to why you feel that you are not liable for part or all of the debt from which the claim arises, so that may narrow down the issues and seek to raise any relevant queries with the original creditor and Assignor of the debt, Vanquis.
    Our client is currently satisfied that the full balance is due and outstanding, including court fees and costs incurred as a result of legal proceedings being issued.* However, our client is also keen to resolve this matter amicably and to avoid further legal action which would incur further costs and fees. **Our client has therefore advised us to put forward an offer of full and final settlement of the claim in the sum of*£725.00, inclusive of small claims track fixed costs and fees at this juncture.
    We look forward to hearing from you soon in respect of our client’s offer.* If you are at all unclear as to the content of this email, we recommend that you seek independent legal advice.
    Kind regards,

Has anybody received a reply like this before and do you think it means anything regarding the case

Thanks for anyone that can help
    Tags: None

They have sent that to a few people from what I have seen. To me it seems as if they are unsure they will win in court.

Tell us more about the ORIGINAL debt? How much did you buy & what are the interest & charges on the account until they passed the debt on?

Comment

Oh okay,* it was the "We believe that the content of the Defence filed may have been sourced from a generic template on the Internet " which got me a little concerned!*

As far as the original debt,* to be totally honest I am unsure,* was a tough time in which I lost my job and buried my head in the sand.* It was a credit card, which i ended up maxing out and then incurred charges, on my credit report it only ever shows Lowell had it and it was for £663 . So I am assuming it was about a £600 limit card.*

Comment

Originally posted by londonbruv View Post
        "We believe that the content of the Defence filed may have been sourced from a generic template on the Internet " which got me a little concerned!
        That is just a scare tactic. It doesn't matter where you get your defence from so long as it is a good & relevant defence.* You might want to post your defence on here & I am quite sure someone will have a scan through.

Comment

Indeed - and it's not like Lowell send out the same letters to everyone is it ? Such hypocrites.

Anyway as GBexile says it'd be a good idea to post up the particulars of claim and your defence - also did you send them a cca request and a cpr 31.14 letter ?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay , thanks.* *As I said i rushed it a little bit so I have probably used the wrong defence or something , this is all a bit confusing for me.* Defence

1.The Defendant received the claim ***** from the Northampton
            County Court on 09/01/2020

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is
            denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim is for a Credit Card agreement regulated under the
            Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.It is admitted that the Defendant has entered into an agreement
            with Vanquis for provision of credit.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate
            information to enable me to properly assess my position with
            regards the claim.

6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim fail to state when the
            agreement was entered into.

7.The Claimants statement of case states that the account was
            assigned from Vanquis to Lowell Portfolio Ltd on 31/08/2016. The
            Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

8.On the 12/01/2020 The Defendant sent a request for inspection of
            documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under
            Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Lowell Solicitors Limited. I
            requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement and Notice
            of Assignment.

9. Lowell Solicitors Limited has not sent any of these documents
            to the Defendant.

10.On the 12/01/2020 The Defendant sent a formal request for a
            copy of the original agreement to Lowell Portfolio Ltd pursuant to
            section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the
            statutory £1 fee.

11.The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit
            Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974
            cannot enforce the agreement.

12.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a
            money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any
            allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved
            unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is
            expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation
            that the money is owed as claimed.

13.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the
            Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The
            Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand
            struck out.

14.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the
            Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his
            defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the
            amendment.

15.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as
            claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are
            true.

Comment

Particulars of Claim

1) The defendant entered into a Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulated agreement with Vanquis under account reference *** ('the Agreement') .
              2) The defendant failed to maintain the required payments and arrears began to accrue.
              3) The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on 31/08/2016 and notice given to the Defendant.*
              4) Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £663.17 remains due and outstanding.
              And the Claimant claims
              a) The said sum of £663.17
              b)Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £0.145, but limited to one year, being £53.05*
              c) Costs

Comment

Hello, just a quick question .

I have received directions questionnaire, from reading on here I should agree to mediation, however it came with a leaflet saying only agree if you can answer yes to 2 questions. 1 being "I can confirm that i have enough information about the claim to allow me to enter into negotiations"

Seeing as they haven't replied to my cca request and a cpr 31.14 letter the answer to this would be NO so the Mediation wouldn't be suitable ?

So should I agree to mediation or not ?

Thanks in advance

Comment

State no they will state no mediation can take place and inform the court for next action

Comment

You state agree to mediation then when asked what I said above

Comment

Haven't heard anything about this since until this week.

I received a letter from Lowell stating they have reviewed my defence "which appears to be a template defence"

Says they didn't receive my 31.14 s78 requests

They then state vanquis have provided them with the original agreement.

They have enclosed copies of the original application completed online.
                      Statement of account
                      And default notice.

They also include a copy of the Notice of Assignment sent in Sept 2016

Says they are willing to consider a reasonable settlement proposal in light of these additional details provided.
                      Either lump sum or affordable monthly instalments.

They don't actually put any figures as to what they consider reasonable.

Letter was dated 21/10 and they say I have until 30/10 to accept this "offer".

The documents provided do look legitimate.

Apart from the notice of assignment, the letter is "dated 2016" but in 1 paragraph it says

you should now contact us regarding repayment and the easiest way is to call us on <<PidetailsPiDetails2>> to make an arrangement to repay the balance.

This leads me to believe that this isn't a copy of the actual letter they say they sent, but a template that they just copy and fill in details as per the case.

I'm not sure if I'm right in that assumption or even if I am that it makes no difference.

Any views as to what to do next would be much appreciated.

Comment

Amethyst

​​​​​As you were very helpful before

Comment

sounds familiar from lowells trying to make you think all is in order at the last minute! read around the site on lowells cases and a pattern should show they are scrapping a case they are not too sure of ( of course they are worried as they have raised millions of funds at a very high interest rate lately it was reported).

Comment

It does sound as if they have now complied with your CCA/CPR requests. What year was the account opened?

It's really up to you now. I'd ask what discounts they are offering for a F&F settlement. If you take this to a final hearing and are unsuccessful, you will have 30 days to pay the whole debt plus court fees to avoid a CCJ. If you choose to settle now, you may have more control over timescales and amounts.

Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck.

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X