• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio not complied with CCA request, now seeking mediation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Portfolio not complied with CCA request, now seeking mediation

Good day to you all. I need some advice on my next course of action, please. I'm helping someone with their situation and the events thus far are as follows; Lowell portfolio applied for a CCJ against them claiming that they had bought a Capital One debt which was owed. My friend doesn't recall it but does have some mental health issues. Using this sites templates, I sent a CCA request to Lowell portfolio with the £1 postal order and a CPR request to lowell solicitors. They replied with a copy of the notice of assignment but said that they didn't have the original CCA and had requested it fro Capital One. I filed a defence using the template with the court before the deadline and received a letter from the court acknowledging it and informing us that Lowell had been notified. Today, Lowell have sent a letter with a copy of a "directions questionairre", which has been filled in by Lowell. The letter states that we should be receiving a questionnaire from the court soon. Lowell have said that they agree to mediation. We still haven't received a copy of the CCA and our defence stated such and requested that the claim be struck out. Could anyone please shed some light onto why the court might not have ordered Lowell to provide the documentation as I'm confused!
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Just to add, the CCA request was posted to Lowell on 9th December 2019 first class signed for. As they have been unable to provide a copy of the Credit Agreement, why would they be seeking mediation? If the court does send us a "Directions Questionnaire", does that mean it has disregarded the defence? Mediation would be fruitless as the defence states that the defendant denies all allegations and does not recall receiving any default notices so does anyone know what's going on in this case? Any insights would be gratefully accepted and I'm happy to provide anymore information if needed.
    Thanks in advance

Comment

If they can't provide the CCA they have no case, it's that simple. Which is why they are wanting mediation because they know it.
      You should also receive a directions questionnaire from the court, it's standard practice, don't worry, it's just the court wanting to know both side's position and what evidence they will rely on, including documentation. I assume with the list of documents they make no mention of producing a CCA ?
      Fill in the form when it arrives and simply say they have no CCA so you request case be dismissed on this ground. Do not ask for mediation.

Comment

Mediation will ask you have the. Necessary documents to possible negotiation you if not state no, they Will then state mediation cannot take place and pass back to the court with notice* for next stage

Comment

Thank you, that's what I thought. There is no list of documentation provided by Lowell. It seems unnecessary to have to re-state our defence on a questionnaire when surely the claim should have been struck out following the submission of the defence which shows that Lowell have no case. We'll wait for the questionnaire to arrive and see what transpires. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

It does sound like you are on top of things and have sent the right documents and the claim is going as expected. No one at court will have looked at your defence as yet, they simply serve it on the claimant and await a response from the claimant as to whether they are going to continue with the case.

This is where the directions questionnaire comes in. Lowel should send a copy of this to you and to the court, and the court should send you a blank questionnaire with directions to complete and return. The claim is then sent to your local court who will look at it and issue directions, whether that just be a hearing or an order for Lowell to provide documents.

It is best to say yes to mediation on your directions questionnaire in the event that Lowel produce the credit agreement, default notice and notice of assignment. If by the time it comes to booking mediation you haven't received any documents you can just say so.

now, sometimes Lowel will send the defendant the directions questionnaire but not file it with the court… So I would give it seven days and then give Northampton CCBC a call and check with them the status of the claim. If flower do not submit their directions questionnaire then the claim will be automatically stayed and you can then consider whether you want to apply to strike out.

You don't have to restate your defence on the directions questionnaire, it is literally just to help cut manage the case and send it to the right local court to be dealt with.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks so much! We'll wait and see what happens.

Comment

Hello again! So, an update. The Directions Questionnaire was submitted and as yet we Lowell have still not provided us with the requested cca. Today we have received a court letter with a date and time for a hearing (telephone hearing due to coronavirus) some 8 weeks from now. The letter also says that copies of all paperwork that the claimant will rely on be sent to the court and to my friend by a given date about 4 weeks from now. Does anyone know why it's going to hearing and has not been struck out as Lowell have not complied with the cca request. My friend is very anxious and doesn't really understand any of this and certainly would not be able to cope with a telephone call to discuss things that she cannot comprehend. Any insight will be appreciated!

Comment

Can anybody shed a little light on this, please? Even if it's just about what paperwork we're supposed to be sending to the court and lowell. At a guess I suppose we just send copies of the cca & cpr letters as that's all we have to rely upon. I really don't understand the point of a hearing as the only thing we have is the form of a defence is that the defendant has no recollection of the credit card and the claimant hasn't produced the original cca. What are we supposed to say that's not already been said in the defence submission? We're feeling a little intimidated by it all at this point. Thanks in advance

Comment

I suppose the main thing I'd like to know is why Lowell would continue court proceedings if they don't have the CCA. Does anyone know?

Comment

It is entirely normal for debt purchase companies to hold on right up until the eve of court sometimes. They are totally at the mercy of the original creditor. Even though Lowell have the right to enforce the debt, they also inherit the requirement to comply with CCA, but they are waiting for Capital One to dig out that credit agreement. Its a waiting game basically.*
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                        It is entirely normal for debt purchase companies to hold on right up until the eve of court sometimes. They are totally at the mercy of the original creditor. Even though Lowell have the right to enforce the debt, they also inherit the requirement to comply with CCA, but they are waiting for Capital One to dig out that credit agreement. Its a waiting game basically.
                        Thanks for the reply. That makes things a bit clearer, however I have some other questions and wonder if you can help? The hearing instruction letter from the court says that the hearing is in 8 weeks but all paperwork that either party will rely on must be submitted to the court by a date 4 weeks away. If Lowell don't submit a valid CCA within 4 weeks, surely they cannot submit one after that date, otherwise what would be the point of the deadline? The only paperwork we (the defence) have are the CCA + CPR request letters. We had a copy of the "Notice of Assignment" along with a letter explaining that they had no obligation to provide us with a copy of the "Deed of Assignment", so does that mean that the only paperwork we'll be relying on at the hearing is the CCA request letter and Lowells response (Which was that they didn't have it and have requested it from Capital One)?
                        Sorry to be a pain, I know these aren't easy times for anybody and all help is appreciated.

Comment

well they are struggling, in the event near the time they are prone to discontinue as they loose deposit nearer a court case time. ( they hope you panic and cave in) ? before* they do or if they are 100% sure they got a case they go ahead( very rare without legislative documentation)* *

Comment

Yes they will have to supply those documents to the court/you 4 weeks before the hearing.*
                            Based on the documents you already have they cannot possibly proceed. How old is the Capital One account? When was it opened? pre 2007??
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Sorry to derail the conversation just for a minute but could anyone clarify what happens if the CCA + CPR letters were sent just first class, not recorded delivery? Trying to help a relative and it seems he didn't follow my instructions for how to send the letter...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X