• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County court - CPM/Gladstones - exhaustion as a defence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County court - CPM/Gladstones - exhaustion as a defence?

Brief background:
    • Came back from holiday in north Scotland to London in Dec 2018 - long tiring drive.
    • Parked in the passageway in front of my residence entrance (multi storey block of flat, I don't have an allocated parking bay there)
    • Unloaded car, went up to my flat with my companions. Everyone was exhausted and the driver on that day sat down for a couple of mins, and then came back down to move the car to any available street parking.
    • Driver saw PCN attached to windshield. Ignored that, didnt appeal, and now have a county court claim letter from Gladstones. Dont recollect receiving any letter before court claim, or any other correspondence.

While I am happy to prepare a defence statement based on the usual arguments for a residential parking ticket situation in this (supremacy of lease over PPC contract, etc) and other forums I have seen, I have a couple of questions.
    • There was a recent case won by the defendant on the basis of 'exhaustion' (https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...rister-85-fine). The driver in my instance was similarly (or possibly even more) exhausted. Can I use this approach? This would mean letting go of the 'registered keeper' route and disclosing the identity of the driver?
    • I own a flat in the building but I dont have any parking space in the building car park. Surely I still have a claim on the passageway in front of the building (not a public road, only the residents would need to use that passageway) - right-of-way to enable me to access my property?

I have to submit my defence by this Monday, and I aim to finish my draft defence statement by tomorrow morning - will post here for feedback. Grateful for any advice.
    Last edited by kc0793; 12th December 2019, 10:31:AM.
    Tags: None

What does your lease say about parking and having to pay a third party?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      What does your lease say about parking and having to pay a third party?
      My lease, unfortunately, is very unhelpful for my case:

"The Leaseholder covenants with the Landlord:
      Not to park or permit to be parked anywhere upon the estate any vehicle
      Not to park or permit any occupier of the Premises to park any motor vehicle on any other part of the Estate"

What would be my best line of defence in this case? Taking the Nicholas Bowen approach (I have proof of the long journey that day)?

Comment

Check the notice to keeper, if they are pursuing under the POFA 2012 then they have to comply with the legislation and id bet a couple of quid they havent.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X