• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Asking a judge to dismiss set aside application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking a judge to dismiss set aside application

Long story short - was taken to court by cowboy builders.

They decided not to turn up to the court hearing so i got a default judgement awarded.

After they have received court paperwork they are asking judge to set aside default judgement as they didn't receive any paperwork about the hearing and have such a strong case.

I'm thinking of writing to the court to provide evidence that their case is weak as they never provided any evidence to support their statement that the goods are fit for purpose and they did loose the chargeback.

Also they contacted the court about the dates previously and surpsingly they did not do it when they haven't received any paperwork. I need to work on wording it right.

Would it be a good idea to write to the judge or just wait and see? Thanks
    Tags: None

Any advice? Thanks

Comment

You said you were taken to court by a firm of builders ie they were the claimants.
      They failed to turn up so you obtained a default judgement.
      Was this on a counter claim you made?
      If so was their original claim struck out?
      Are they applying for reinstatement of their claim as well as set aside of your judgement?

Comment

Hi, yes they asking to set aside my judgement and to reinstate their case as they haven't received any notification re court date.

They did however sent an email to the court asking if the original hearing is taking place, so either didn't follow up on it or forgot.
        âhanks

Comment

Presumably this is a small firm not employing a solicitor, so it is more than likely reinstatement will be granted.

Have you received court directions regarding a hearing to deal with the applications to reinstate and set aside

Comment

Hi Des8,Â*

Not that small, though they do not employ the solicitor and raised a claim against me.

Thank you for your viewpoint, no harm pointing court's attention that they were aware of the date change and the fact that claim has low chance to succeed.

Will keep posted!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X