• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received small claim for painting I arranged on a part I sold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received small claim for painting I arranged on a part I sold

Earlier this year I sold a Roof for a Lotus Elise on an enthusiasts group.

The buyer wanted it painting and I told him there was a paint shop next to my private workshop that could do it.

I got a price for the painting, told the buyer and he accepted on the terms he’d pay for painting up front and the item on collection. I took payment for paint and passed it onto the painter.

After collection the buyer was unhappy with the colour match. Painter tells me there may have been a mistake and I advise the buyer to return the item to the painter.

Buyer brings a spare panel for his car and asks painter to colour match.

On completion, the painter asks for £130 to cover the paint matching which required hiring of equipment.

I felt bad that the painter had decided to charge more so I told the buyer I’d contribute £50 if he paid £80. He was unhappy but obliged.

Now it turns out the buyer is still unhappy and started small claims proceedings.

My defence was that I didn’t paint it, therefore I don’t accept there’s any claim against me.

Im currently sat in the court going through the motions of the preliminary hearing. We’ve seen the judge once and were asked to attempt to discuss and settle. Because I dispute any further responsibility and having already contributed towards the painting, there’s no middle ground to form a resolution.

I half excepted the Judge to dismiss a claim against me for work I didn’t do, but I’m not sure he even looked at the case - it wasn’t discussed at all.

The question is, is there any scenario where I might be seen to be liable for being the middle man in the first instance? The amount is not a huge amount, less than I’m losing each day out of work, but I don’t want to simply pay up when I don’t think I’m in the wrong, just to avoid the cost of being out of work.
    Tags: None

The problem you might have here is that you have arranged to have it painted on his behalf.

He could only be deemed to have a contract with the painter if he'd engaged him. The argument he will make, (and to be fair, would be mine too), was that there was an agreement to pay for the painting as part of the sale agreement; that agreement is with you and not the painter. The killer is your painter has admitted he might have made a mistake. He bought the item in good faith with an agreed price for painting and therefore he would expect you to make good on the deal.

As a positive though, he agreed to pay the £80 difference, (albeit begrudgingly), so therefore he's accepted the offer and it could be argued he has no cause to bring a claim after he's accepted those terms. Personally, that would be how I would argue it.

Comment

Just out of interest what was the exact original colour he asked for?

What was the model & year of the car it was going on?

Has he restored other cars in the past & do he do it for a living?

Was the part you supplied for an ongoing restoration?

When was his Lotus last painted?

Now I must add that if he was experienced in restoring vehicles then simply asking for the colour over the phone is not a good idea at all.
      Last edited by GBExile; 14th October 2019, 16:23:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X