• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CCJ

    Hi All, I have been given a CCJ because my ex partner falsely claims that I owe her £3000. The court letter was delivered to my old address, and I didnít know anything about it until it was too late. I now have a CCJ against me that I have been unable to defend. I now understand that to defend it is going to cost money I donít have, and Iím unable to obtain legal aid. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you all.
    Tags: None

  • #2

    So your ex has obtained a default judgment against you and you will need to apply to set aside the judgment.

    Presumably she wouldn't consent to the set aside so it is going to cost you a £255 application fee (form N244 read https://legalbeagles.info/library/ho...-judgment-ccj/ ) - or you could look into whether you are eligible for fee remission ( EX160 - read https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tribunal-fees ) - your grounds would be you didn't receive the court papers and your ex had no reason to send the court papers to that old address, and you have a reasonable chance of success at defending the claim.

    First should probably look at whether you do have a chance of defending the claim - what does she think you owe her £3k for ?

    Do you have a copy of the claim documents now? If so could you type out the particulars of claim pls.

    Is the judgment for forthwith payment or by instalment ?
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don't protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win. Hetty Bower

    Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

    Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

    If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

    Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


    1 of 2 < >


    Pre-Action Letters
    First Steps
    Check dates
    Acknowledge Claim
    CCA Request
    CPR 31.14 Request
    Subject Access Request Letter
    Example Defence
    Set Aside Application
    Witness Statements
    Directions Questionnaire
    Statute Barred Letter

    If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

    NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
    Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

    Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

    If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

    We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
    If your case is over ÔŅĹ10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
    2 of 2 < >

    Need Formal Help?

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm

    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm