• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Solicitors / Provident Personal Credit Limited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you should receive a letter to say " this is now a defended claim" and asking you to complete a directions questionnaire. If you have heard nothing in a month give court a call to check the status of the claim. Otherwise keep the thread updated with any further responses you receive from Lowell or Provident.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

good info.

Comment

Good day all.

I have received in the post from HM Courts & Tribunals Service a letter saying:

I acknowledge receipt of your defence. A copy is being served on the claimant (or the claimant's solicitor).
        The claimant may contact you direct to attempt to resolve any dispute. If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, the claimant will inform the court that he wishes to proceed. The court will then inform you of what will happen.

Where he wishes to proceed, the claimant must contact the court within 28 days after receiving a copy of your defence. After that period has elapsed, the claim will be stayed. The only action the claimant can then take will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.

I have now received post from Lowell Solicitors Limited, on the cover letter it states the following:

We refer to the matter detailed at the side of this pages.

Please find enclosed a copy of the Directions Questionnaire which we have now sent to the Court.

We have agreed to mediation in our Directions Questionnaire which may result in settlement. If you agree to mediation, please ensure you tick the "yes" box in part A1 of your own Direction Questionnaire.

If you would like to settle this matter directly, our client invites you to put forward an affordable settlement to us either as a single payment or by instalments. An agreed settlement would avoid a hearing or judgment and also the associated costs being added to your debt.

We recommend that you obtain independent legal advice in order to fully understand your rights in relation to this claim. You can instruct a solicitor of your choice or obtain free legal advice from a Citizens' Advice Bureau or other legal advice centre.

Please call 0113 335 3345 if you have any queries or any proposals for settlement.

Yours sincerely
        Lowell Solicitors Limited

Comment

You should soon receive a blank Directions Questionnaire from the court for you to complete and return. The letter from Lowell just means they have responded to the court to say they are proceeding in the case. So now the court has to tell you that and ask you to file & serve your directions questionnaire.

Directions Questionnaire

If you haven't heard from court in a week, give them a call and ask them if they've heard from claimant as you've received a DQ from them but nothing from court.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Good day all.

I have received more paperwork, this time it looks like it's come directly from the courts.
            The cover letter states the following:

Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track

Important Notice
            If you do not comply with this notice the court will make such order as appears to be appropriate, This could include striking out the claim or entering judgment.

TAKE NOTICE THAT
            1. This is now a defended claim.
              The defendant has filed a defence, a copy of which is enclosed.
            2. It appears that this case is suitable for allocation to the small claims track.
              If you believe that this track is not the appropriate track for the claim, you must complete box C1 on the Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and explain why.
            3. You must by 22 November 22019 complete the Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and file it with the court office
              the Count Court Business Centre, 4th Floor St Katharine's House, 21-27 St Katharine's Street, Northamption, NN1 2LH
              and serve copies on all other parties.
            Thanks again for your time, and help

Best Regards.

Comment

Yes, as expected, so you should now complete the DQ - some guidance https://legalbeagles.info/library/guides_and_letters/court/directions-questionnaire - and send it back to the court - with a copy to the claimant
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Good day all.

Small update, I completed and submitted the Directions Questionnaire, I then received an email from the Small Claims Telephone Mediation Service with a contact number, it took a number of trys and being put in a que for close to an hour at a time, finally got to speak to someone only to be told there are no available appointments, and that the case would be referred back to the courts.

This weekend I recived another letter from the County Court Business Centre stating the following:

Notice of Transfer of Proceedings

To all parties

The Small Claims Mediation Team has arranged for your case to be transferred to a Hearing Centre as they were not able to arrange mediation at this time.

The claim has been transferred to the County Court Hearing Centre listed below for allocation.
                On receipt, the file will be referred to a procedural judge who will allocate the claim to track and give case management directions.
                Detauks if the judge's directions will be sent to you in a notice of allocation.

If you would like any further information you can contact the local County Court Hearing Centre directly but please await the Judge's directions.
                From this, I can only presume that this now means I will now be facing a day in court.

If this is the case, can anyone please advise what steps I now need to take, what paperwork I need to prepare, etc.

Thanks again.
                Best Regards.

Comment

Good day all.

Yesterday I received an email from Lowell Solicitors Limited, with attached documents.
                  Dear Sirs

Our Client: Lowell Portfolio I Limited
                  Lowell Reference Number: xxxxxxxxx
                  Claim Number: xxxxxxxx

We refer to the above matter in which we act for the Claimant.

Please find enclosed witness statement which has been emailed to the Court by way of email address Enquiries.xxxxxxxxxxx@justice.gov.uk and the Defendant's email of xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com before the 16:00pm deadline on 7 February 2020.

No disrespect is intended to the Court but the Claimant respectfully requests this be placed on the Court file in compliance with the Order.

Yours faithfully

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxx

Our Client: Lowell Portfolio I Limited
                  Lowell Reference Number: xxxxxxxxx
                  Claim Number: xxxxxxxx

We refer to the above matter in which we act for the Claimant.

Please find enclosed witness statement for the upcoming hearing. A copy of this has been filed to the Court's email as well as served on your personal email of xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com.

Yours faithfully

Comment

Continuing from my previous post, below is a copy of the Claimant's Witness Statement.
                    The numbering / lettering sequence posted below does not match the hard copy, as I can't get it to working correctly on this forum.

IN THE COUNT COURT OF xxxxxxxxxx
                    CLAIN NO: xxxxxxxxxx
                    BETWEEN:
                    LOWELL PORTOFLIO I LTD
                    Claimant
                    -and-

MR xxxxxxxxxx
                    Defendant

WITNESS STATEMENT OF xxxxxxxxxx

I, xxxxxxxxxx, of Lowell Solicitors, Darwin House, 7 Savannah Way, Leeds Valley Park West, Leeds, LS10 1AB WILL SAY as follows:

INTRODUCTION
                    1. I am a Paralegal in the employ of Lowell Solicitors Limited. I have conduct of this matter subject to the supervision of my principals and I am duly authorised by the Claimant to make this statement on the Claimant's behalf.
                    2. The facts contained in this statement are known to me through my review of the Claimant's computerised account records save as where expressly stated and are true to the best of my knowledge, information and belief.
                    BACKGROUND
                    1. The Clain relates to a fixed tern agreement between the Defendant and Provident Personal Credit Limited ("the Assignor"). Pursuant to the terms of the agreements the Assignor provided a fixed credit facility to the defendant in return for contractual repayments (the "Agreement").
                    2. The Agreement commenced between the Defendant and the Assignor xx August 2013. A copy of the original signed Agreements together with the applicable terms and conditions are exhibited hereto at "RC1".
                    3. The Agreement provided for a total credit advance in the sum of £1,000.00 with the interest applied being in the sum of £1,200.00 added. The total repayable in 110 equal weekly instalments in the sums of £20.00. The Defendant was required to maintain the £20 monthly repayments.
                    4. The Defendant, upon entering the doorstep loan, was provided with the cash advance of the loan sum. The was provided to the Defendant at the address of xxxxxxxxxx. The Defendant however failed to maintain the required payments pursuant to the Agreements. A copy of the statement evidencing 14 payments of the 110 were made by the Defendant is exhibited hereto at "RC2".
                    5. As the Defendant failed to comply with the terms of the Agreement relating to repayment, the Agreement was legally assigned by Vanquis Bank Limited as part of their "Fresh Start" initiative. A copy of the Notice of Assignment sent to the Defendant on xx November 2015 is exhibited hereto at "RC3".
                    6. The Agreements fixed term expired on xx September 2015. Accordingly no Default Notice in Consumer Credit Act prescribed form was required because before the Assignor sought to enforce terminate or assign the benefit of the Account, the Agreements' fixed term has expired and the full balances had fallen due in the normal course of time rather than by operation of any term or condition providing that early repayment would fall due on default.
                    7. The Account was subject to a second legal assignment dated xx December 2016 pursuant to Section 136 of the Law of Property Act from the original creditor to the Claimant.
                    8. The Notice of Assignment was served on the Defendant by posting them to the Defendant's address. Reconstituted Notices of Assignment are exhibited hereto at "RC4".
                    9. I confirm therefore that the Claiment is the corrent entity to bring this claim and the Defendant remains indebted to the Claimant.
                    10. Between the date of assignment in Decmber 2016 and August 2019 the Claimant sent the Defendant several letters to the Defendant's address. No items of post were returned by the Royal Mail undelivered.
                    11. Examples of the reconstituted letters sent by the Claimant, the letters of which addorded the Defendant the opportunity to respond and avoid further action being taken are exhibited hereto at "RC5".
                    12. The Defendant failed to respond to any of the letters with payment proposals therefore the Claimant instructed solicitors to assist in the recovery of the outstanding debt. Legal proceedings were issued on xx August 2019 to recover the assigned balance in the sum of £1,900.00 plus interest in the sum of £152.00, calculated at the County Courts Act 1984 rate of 8% but caooed at one year. The claim therefore totalling £2,052.00.
                    THE DEFENDANT'S DEFENCE
                    1. A Defence was filed by the Defendant in which he allages that:
                      1. He received the claim form on xx August 2019;
                      2. Each allegation in the Particulars of Claim is denied unless admitted;
                      3. The load agreement is an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the "Act");
                      4. The Agreemant was between the Defendant and Provident Home Finance;
                      5. The infomation provided by the Claimant in the Particulars of Claim is vague about the Agreemant;
                      6. The Defendant admits he had the Agreement and he repaid it in full;
                      7. The Defendant made a Data Subject Access request on xx August 2019;
                      8. The Claimant provided data which did not include details of the Agreement;
                      9. The Defendant has sent a further Data Subject Access Request to Provident Home Finance and awaits response;
                      10. He has requested information pursuant to CPR 31.14 which the Claimant had not complied with;
                      11. It is denied that Provident Personal home finance served a Default Notice pursuant to S87 of the Act;
                      12. He has requested extra time to respond to the file a Defence pursuant to CPR 15.5 but the Claimant failed to respond;
                      13. Pursuant to CPR 16.5(4) the Claimant requires to prove the allegation of the money owed;
                      14. The Defendant requests the Claimant bear the cost of his amended Defence; and
                      15. It is denied the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.
                    THE CLAIMANT'S RESPONSE TO THE DEFENDANT'S DEFENCE
                    1. The Claimant repeats paragraphs 1 to 14 of this Witness Statement.
                    2. The Claimant denies that the Defendant's Defence carries any prospect of successfully defending the claim. The Claimant will respond to the allegations raised by the Defendant in the manner they are raised.
                    3. The County Court claim form was issued by the County Court Business centre on xx August 2019. Pursuant to CPR 6.14, the claim form is deemed served two days after issue. The Claimant therefore does not deny the Defendant's allegation but avers it not relevant to the Defence the Defendant is not liable for the Agreement.
                    4. The Court's attention is however drawn to the address on all correspondence as exhibited at "RC1" to "RC4". The Defendant has failed to respond to the Claimant in over two years to raise the allegations he now raises. The Defendant at any point prior to legal proceedings could have been provided with the infomation he requested about the Agreement.
                    5. The Defendant failed to do so and did not respond to any pre legal correspondence. The Defendant's conduct therefore forcing the Claimant to instruct solicitors and incur costs of issuing proceedings.
                    6. The Defendant failed to respond to the Pre Action Protocol for debt claims which, in line with the Overriding Objectives is for parties to narrow the issues of contention. It is also an opportunity for the parties to resolve the matter without the need for the Court.
                    7. The Defendant also failed to respond to this to which the Claimant avers is unreasonable conduct pursuant to CPR 27.14 (2) (g) to which the Defendant should be sanctioned.
                    8. The Claimant repeats paragraphs 3 to 8 of this witness statement in that the Agreement was regulated by the Act until the Agreement's fixed term expired.
                    9. The Claimant denies that the Agreement was previously Provident Home Finance. As per the Agreement at "RC1" and the Particulars of Claim the Agreenment was with Provident Personal Credit limited.
                    10. Pursuant to CPR 16.4, the Claimant submits the Particulars of Claim provide a concise set of facts on which the Claimant relies. The Defendant had the Agreement with the original Assignor which was subsequently assigned to Vanquis Bank Limited. The Defendant failed to make payment and the Agreement was terminated. The Agreement was assigned by the Claimant and the claim form was issued.
                    11. The Claimant rebuts the allegation the Particles of Claim are vague. Furthermore Pursuant to PD 7E, 5.2A, there is no requirement to attach documents to the Particulars of Claim as the Claimant issued the claim online. The Claimant again avers infomation could have been requested at any point after the Claimant assigned the Agreement which was two years before the claim was issued. The Defendant failed to do this.
                    12. The Defendant has admitted he has paid the debt to which he believes are the subject of the legal proceedings. The Defendant is put to strict proof and the Claimant requests the Defendant clarifies his Defence in that he denies knowledge of the Agreement but has also paid the Agreement in full. The Claimant submits the Defendant's Defence is not a comprehensice response to the Claim.
                    13. The Claimant admits the Defendant made a subject access request on xx August 2019, a copy of the request is hereto exhibited at "RC6". The response to the Defendant's request being completed on xx September 2019 a copy of the cover letter confirming this is exhibited hereto at "RC7".
                    14. The relationshop between the Claimant and the Assignor is that infomation such as exhibits "RC1" to "RC3" are requested and provided. The infomation is not held by the Claimant until it is request and provided. The Claimant therefore fully complied with its duties pursuant to the GDPR rules relating to requests of information.
                    15. The Claimant again re-iterates any request from the Assignor or the Claimant could have been made after the Assignor had occurred. The Defendant again waited until legal proceedings were served and Court deadlines were invoked.
                    16. The Claimant has not been in receipt of any request for the Agreement pursuant to S 77 of the Act. The allegation raised by the Defendant is rebutted and the Claimant re-iterates and infomation regarding any request is provided once it has been provided by the Assignor.
                    17. The Claimant only received the request for infomation pursuant to CPR 31.14 at the point the Defence was filed. The Claimant submits that all the infomation is provided in this witness statement to which was Ordered to be filed and served by a Court Order dated xx January 2020.
                    18. The Defendant has not suffered any detriment in the delay nor did the Claimant withhold any infomation. The Claimant awaited until all the infomation was provided by the Assignor before providing it to the Defendant. This coincided with the filing of the witness statement.
                    19. Furthermore the Defendant made his request pursuant to CPR 15.5 in his Defence. The Claimant rebuts the allegation it would not allow the Defendant further time to file an amended Defence. However this must be at the Defendant's own personal cost.
                    20. As highlighted in the previous paragraphs the Defendant's conduct prior to proceedings has resulted in legal proceedings being taken. Therefore the costs of proceedings could have been avoided if the Defendant had sought to contact the Claimant.
                    21. The Claimant rebuts they have not complied pursuant to CPR 16.5(4) in that it has proved the Defendant is liable for sums due under the Agreement.
                    22. The Defendant by the way of letter sought to accecpt the Claimants previous offer of settlement of a discoundted amount. The Claimant responded to the Defendant on xx September 2019 by way of email informing the Defendant the offer was only available prior to proceedings were issued. The letter provided a deadline and it was served to his address for him to accept.
                    23. The Claimant submits that the Defendant's conduct regarding the outstanding balance is inconsistent. The Claimant by this letter has sought to admit to the balance but at a reduced figure. The Claimant avers therefore the Defendant admits he is liable. A copy of this letter is exhibited hereto at "RC7".
                    24. The Defendant has failed to substantiate or evidence why he has failed to pay the outstanding balance that is still due and owing. For the reasons stated within this Witness Statement the Claimant avers that the Defendant's Defence is without merit and untenable.
                    ORDER SOUGHT
                    1. As no Defence disclosing any merit whatsoever has been produced by the Defendant, the Claimant respectfully invites the Court to strike out the Defence pursuant to rule 3.4 (2)(a) of the CPR. The Claimant submits that the Defendant has failed to substantiate any allegation she relies upon in her Defence.
                    2. The Claimant request's judgement for the Claimant in the sum of:
                      1. £2,052.00 - Claimed amount;
                      2. £355.00 - Fixed costs; and
                      3. Cost of attendance as confirmed by the advocate at the hearing.
                    3. The Claimant also respectfully seeks an order that the Defendant do pay the Claimant's advocates costs of attendance pursuant to rule 27.14(2)(g) of the CPR, the costs of which will be confirmed by the advocate at the hearing. The cost being no more than the sum of £222.00 including VAT.

STATEMENT OF TRUTH
                    I, duly authorised on behalf of the Claimant, believe the facts stated in this witness statement are true.
                    Signed: ..............................
                    Print Name: xxxxxxxxxx
                    Position: Paralegal
                    Dated: xx January 2020
                    Thanks again for your time, help, and support.
                    Last edited by needguidance; 8th February 2020, 14:05:PM.

Comment

Can anyone give any more guidance, help or support on this matter?

Thanks again.

Best Regards.

Comment

Is anyone here able to advise on how to defend my case, and what I need to do, and what to expect at my day in court.

Thanks again.

Comment

I would welcome any feedback or advise on the above and where to go from here.

I would it be better to start a new topic post for building my defence, and going to court?
                          The due court date is currently 20th April 2020, but with the current covid-19 lockdown, I am unsure where we stand.

Thanks again for your time.
                          Best Regards.

Comment

Celestine*

Comment

Hi -
                              Have you received anything from Provident re. SAR?
                              Have Lowell supplied a copy/recon of the agreement?
                              I’m guessing you haven’t received a court date yet because of Covid? What communication have you received in last couple of months?
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Due to my location and covid-19 the courts sent a letter stating that I do not have to attend in person, but will go ahead virtually via "skype for business" or "BT MeetMe"
                                The current court date is set for 29th July 2020.

I can confirm that I have received a copy of the credit agreement, statement of payments, and other documents. but I really do not know what I am looking at.
                                As already said before a number of documents have incorrect address.
                                I have lived at the current address since december 2005.

I have gone over the documents received via the subject access request, lowell solicitors, etc, I don't seem to see a copy of the original default notice from provident.
                                There is a copy of a letter from Vanquis bank stating that the debt had been sold to them from provident.

I did start another post here: "Questions regarding default notice and statute barred" hoping to find out more infomation on the subject.

Thanks again for your time.

Best Regards.
                                Last edited by needguidance; 10th July 2020, 19:33:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X