• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BW legal / Money shop CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BW legal / Money shop CCJ

Hi, I wonder if someone can help in what is a complicated situation I find myself in.

Back in Feb- May 2013 I taken out loans with the Money shop - also known as Instant cash loans. I paid them back but they somehow believe I owe them money - it is all a while ago now and I cannot recall if I do. If I do then it is very little as I do recall them only lending me £200 per loan. Not £613 what they claim

Anyway PRAC financial bought this apparent debt off Money Shop and passed it to BW Legal - who look like PRAC's sister company.
    They have been sending me the usual stuff to contact them etc etc.... in the end they threatened me with a CCJ. I did not want to agree to paying back a debt that I do not know the ins and outs of that I owe...

Come January 2019 i had claim forms from the County Court - I did not reply to them but i instead contact BW and agreed to repay in installments. I failed to keep up with them installments as i still remained agitated about paying back debts I may not owe.
    So to find out more I checked my credit record - stating i defaulted in September 2013... I still wanted to know the exact amount I owe and why it got to that amount.

I written a complaint to Money shop - about irresponsible lending.

Upon their response - they said they "should have asked more questions and done more checks at the time we lent these loans to you, Unfortunately we have not been able to reach a decision as to what we should have done with information available" They went on to ask me for bank statements between Feb- May 2013. I sent them to Money shop - which i have evidence of and no reply.
    This complaint was made in Feb 2019. Response April 2019. statements sent April 2019.
    Come July 2019 BW threatening CC action again - I contacted them once more and asked for proof I owe the debt - they never got back to me on this but on that call I agreed to pay £50.00 per month to the debt. I made it clear though that I still dispute the amount - they promised to send over the details of the debt by email - to this day despite asking twice nothing has come through.
    Late July - a week after making an installment offer i now get a letter from the CC about "Judgement for claimant - in default". This has really bloody annoyed me.

I contacted BW to discuss and ask why - they told me the court went ahead with it - I smelt bull so i contacted the court who confirmed BW pressed ahead with it. As thought.
    So i taken things to my own hands and contacted the money shop to find out why I never had a response - they told me they "changed their complaints policy" and explained the situation about their company.... which are in the process of a financial bailout/ liquidation it seems.

Prior to contacting Money shop went to the Ombudsman who said they could not help at present until the Money shops situation is clarified
    So here I am stuck with a CCJ of £613 + their additional costs bringing it up to £892!!

Is it worth me applying to get the CCJ "set aside. No party has provided me with information how I owe this money such as the money shop and BW legal plus with all the evidence I have - letter from the Money shop as mentioned and bank statements. Plus I have concern this apparent debt could be statue barred but then again it is not quite 6 years.... I am also tempted to counter claim BW legal for the cost of the fee I would have to pay the court for setting the judgement aside
    Tags: None

I would just pay it off. They likelihood of you getting a CCJ reversed when you agreed to pay them after the fact & failed to do so is an admission of the debt after the fact.

I doubt your chances are 1 in 100 of getting it overturned.

You can carry on with the Ombudsman claim though.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X