• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mum's ongoing issue with parking fine...please help!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mum's ongoing issue with parking fine...please help!

    Hi all,

    New to this forum and would be very grateful of any help/advice you guys have to offer!

    A few years ago my Mum received a parking fine from a local retail park, she didn't realise they had changed their parking t&c's and she therefore stayed longer than was allowed.

    She initially contacted the company to explain that she has been visiting this retail park for years and it was a genuine mistake, to no avail. She has received several letters over the years telling her to pay but has been advised my various people to ignore them.

    However, I have just found a letter (supposedly) from the County Court Business Centre ordering her to pay £185.

    Is this genuine? Is there anything we can do now to avoid paying that amount?

    I think my Mum is choosing to Bury her head in the sand with it all but I'd like to resolve the issue on her behalf if necessary.

    Thank you in advance!

    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi and welcome
    As a start can you post up that "letter" (remove identification details)
    It could well be a court claim.


    • #3
      This is the letter as requested


      • #4
        Yep, that is a court order to pay a default judgement that the parking company have obtained because the claim was not defended.
        You could apply for the case to be set aside (fee £255) but unless you have a good reason ...........
        If you pay it within 30 days it won't be recorded on credit files


        • #5
          Yep. Genuine as above. She needs to pay it or challenge it but as she has admitted it before as an error it is probably best paid.

          Your mum (in fact everyone) should read their mail. She would have had letters from the court beforehand.


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


          1 of 2 < >


          Pre-Action Letters
          First Steps
          Check dates
          Acknowledge Claim
          CCA Request
          CPR 31.14 Request
          Subject Access Request Letter
          Example Defence
          Set Aside Application
          Witness Statements
          Directions Questionnaire

          If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

          NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
          Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

          Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

          If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

          We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
          If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
          2 of 2 < >

          Need Formal Help?

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm

          See more
          See less

          Court Claim ?

          Guides and Letters

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm