• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

dispute with solicitor for services, claim form received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dispute with solicitor for services, claim form received

Hi,

I have been "dumped" by my previous solicitor (after having paid thousands for their services) in a particularly stressful time. They also overcharged (GBP1500 for a trip to London from Oxford... just the journey time, then also charging even after they stopped acting for me, etc)

It led me to file a complaint with them first, then with the ombudsman.
    Ombudsman says it will take one year(!) before they look at the case.

The interest racked up, I responded to their Letter before Claim with request for more information and respond in time by paying a significant part which they suggested in a "without prejudice letter".

Today it turns out they already filed and I received a claim form several days before end of the 30 days waiting time (according to pre-action protocol).

The sum claimed is now >10000 GBP and it's extremely frustrating. I have paid most of it and really don't think I should pay the rest.
    What's the best defense? What is the next step?

Shall I say I dispute all of the debt?
    I have not acknowledged the claim or responded in any other way yet.

I need to react tomorrow, of course...

Thanks in advance!

Tags: None

Hi

Yes, you must acknowledge or risk a default CCJ.

I would suggest 'defend in full' for now.

You can always change your mind when (if) you file your defence.

Was the court claim via MCOL?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Could you clarify?......is it with the Ombudsman now, or were you just gathering info there?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi,
        thank you for your responses!
        The court claim came via MCOL. The claimant agreed to an extension for filing the defense -- court clerk told me they could still file for a default payment despite agreement?
        The ombudsman people said it will take up to a year to look into this and I should pay the money "under protest".
        How would I go about defending the claim?
        Thanks in advance!
        E

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X