• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello & Rejecting a new vehicle within 30 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello & Rejecting a new vehicle within 30 days

Hi,

I have purchased a vehicle on PSA Finance on the 31st of August. It is a Peugeot 208 with an automatic light and rain sensor
    I have had several issues with the car from the first few days.
    First issue was during barely any rain my car turned on the wipers to go at excessive speed and was wiping dry windscreen. That didn’t stop until I turned the car off and on again.
    Then on the 14th day of purchase it was having issues finding my phone on CarPlay even though it was connected through a USB wire. Again, this didn’t stop until I turned the car off and on again a few times. On that same evening as I was making my way back home to Birmingham from Doncaster my touch screen suddenly went extremely bright and I was unable to drive properly so we stopped at a rest area. After realising that nothing was helping me turn the brightness down, we restarted the journey. After a few moments another driver flashed me and told me that my rear lights are not working. We stopped again to check - my rear lights were actually not working at all. Only break lights and reverse lights would come on, indicators would not work on the back either. Then the sound in my car started turning on and off from one speaker to the other and my gearbox lights would also not come on. I completed the journey home (approx 10 minutes) and called Peugeot Assistance the next morning. AA came out next morning and suspected a fault with the BECP unit and sent me a report to show Peugeot. I drove to Peugeot that morning and had to fight my way into getting the car looked at and also had to fight for a courtesy car. I insisted on returning the car to them as I was only 14 days in my agreement and the car was unsafe to drive and only after I said that they sorted the above for me. After they had my car for more than a week (from the 14th of September) they returned it to me on the 24th of September telling me that they have done all possible checks and couldn’t find a fault. I accepted the car on the agreement that if any issues come up I notify them and get proof (photos/videos).
    three days later on the 27th of September, my light sensor was playing up. My car was on “night shift” during the day time in really bright sunlight for almost 30 minutes making my touch screen extremely dark. Twisting the light switch to manual several times finally made the car click back into “day shift”. My phone was again not able to be connected to the car even though it was connected with a USB wire.
    After emailing Peugeot with a photo and expressing my concern, I received a phone call but got nowhere so ended up going to see them the next day. They kept telling me it is normal for a light sensor to play up sometimes in the day and that I should wait for the lights on my car to disappear again and take photos and videos - they are not able to help me otherwise as they can’t find a fault.
    After having a good think, I decided to reject the car within my 30 days as it is not fit for purpose - I am constantly driving during the night as I work shifts so waiting for an accident to happen is not something I expect from a brand new or any car for that matter.
    Do I have a reason to reject the car even though Peugeot have said they can’t find a fault? I have witnesses who were in the car with me when lights disappeared along with a two year old child.
    I have sent an email to PSA finance rejecting the vehicle so just wondering what I can expect to happen next.

many thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Yes you have reason to reject the car. It is dangerous. I would send this as as a letter as well, posted first class and with a free certificate of posting. Set up the paper trail.

While your car was in for repair the 30 day clock is stopped.

You are into the realms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which gives you the right to reject within 30 days. Look at part 20.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.
      Will post everything today and await their response

Comment

You ask about what to expect from the finance people.
        They will tell you they have to consult with the dealer, who will advise them they can find no fault.
        Therefore they will not accept your rejection.

You will need to prove the fault(s) exist and were present when the vehicle was purchased, so it may well be worth obtaining an independent engineer's report next time it plays silly burgers

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          You ask about what to expect from the finance people.
          They will tell you they have to consult with the dealer, who will advise them they can find no fault.
          Therefore they will not accept your rejection.

You will need to prove the fault(s) exist and were present when the vehicle was purchased, so it may well be worth obtaining an independent engineer's report next time it plays silly burgers
          Sorry I am very new at this so I have a few questions - so without proof that the fault exists I don't have a chance of rejecting the car?
          The only physical proof I have is AA suspecting it to be BECP unit after doing quick diagnostics the next morning.
          What happens if they don't accept my rejection - I just have to keep driving the car?

Comment

You have rejected the car so it is advisable to stop driving it, especially so if the problems are likely to resurface.

Besides the AA report, you also have witnesses < I have witnesses who were in the car with me when lights disappeared along with a two year old child. >
            It is just if it comes to court an independent engineers report can be very helpful (altho' you may need to drive the car to replicate the problems which seem to be intermittent, but that then becomes a problem if the faults do not reappear!)

Your claim would be for breach of implied terms of contract, the vehicle being unsatisfactory and not fit for purpose.

< They kept telling me it is normal for a light sensor to play up sometimes in the day >
            Don't suppose they gave you that in writing!
            IMO that is an admission of not fit for purpose

Comment

Ahh ok understood. My only worry is that there actually won’t be any faults if an independent engineer has a look at the car and then it will make my case look even worse? As it looks like the glitch comes up and doesn’t leave any trace in the car, according to Peugeot technicians.

They didn’t give it in writing but I will have a go at trying to get them to say in writing. I had a friend there with me who heard it as well so worst case it’s another witness statement? Would that work?

Comment

It won't hinder any case

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  It won't hinder any case
                  Ok, thank you for your help Des. I will update this post again when I get a response from the PSA

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X