• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

URGENT Reston's - Interim Charging Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT Reston's - Interim Charging Order

Hi
    Hope someone can help?

I've been sent an Interim Charging Order on a joint property from Reston's for a credit card debt.
    I did offer a monthly payments before the Interim Charging Order was issued, however I did not receive an acknowledgment of my offer from Reston's.
    When I spoke to Reston's they claimed that they sent me an 'Email' requesting more information and I confirmed that I have not received the email and can they re-send me the letter through the post.

However Reston's said that email was sent and that the Interim Charging Order request will go ahead even though I have offered monthly payments.

What are my next steps?

to challenge the Interim Charging Order, the hearing date has already being set for late September 2018.

Any Advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Tags: None

Were you aware that Restons had obtained a CCJ against you ? ( and who are they acting on behalf of ? )

Did you make your installment offer via the form N245 for redetermination with the court - or was it directly with Restons following a forthwith judgment order?

How much approx is the judgment for ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi
      No I wasn't aware that Reston's had obtain a CCJ against me (they are acting on behalf Aqua MasterCard) as I thought I dealing the Aqua directly as I was made redundant and I missed some payments, so they had passed the debt onto various DCA's

My monthly offer was made directly with Reston's

The judgement is for approx. £3500.

Comment

Okay, when did you find out that Restons ( well, who they are acting for) had managed to get a judgment ?

Are the claimants actually Aqua ( it'd be NewDay, as Aqua is a brand of NewDay ) or is it someone like Cabot ?

And is the letter from the court, Restons or the Land Registry ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi
          I received an update on my Credit File and the claimants are Aqua/New Day

Letters are from Reston's and the Land Registry

Comment

did you receive court papers prior to this?? if not maybe a set a side application??
            Set Aside Application

Comment

Unusual for it to be action brought directly by NewDay - usually things get sold on to DCA's before going to court.

Have you looked into applying to set-aside the original judgment ?
              Do you know how the judgment was made without your knowledge ? ( have you moved house between defaulting the account and the claim being issued for example )

How much approx is it?
              Have you got a copy of the original judgment from the court ( or from Restons) and was it forthwith or an installment order? ( obviously you wouldn't have paid if you weren't aware of it )

You completed an IE sheet for Restons and made an offer of payment based on your income/expenditure. Did you keep a copy of this communication to them, and was that by email or by letter ?

What you need to do, if you just want to argue against the charging order being made final, is to submit a witness statement to the court setting out your reasons ( lack of equity, jointly owned, other creditors etc) and making your offer of payment by installments.

It is, sadly, likely that the charging order will be made final, but as the house is jointly owned, and the debt is only in your name, it should just be a restriction and as long as you keep up the installment payments no further action will happen and the charge should be removed once the judgment amount has been paid in full.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks for your advice, I sent a letter to Reston's with the offer, but I never received any acknowledgment of my offer!!
                Is that standard practice?
                The Final Charging Order does that mean we cannot sell the house?

Comment

It might make it difficult but it shouldn't stop you entirely. The debt would be paid out of the equity when you sell, after the mortgage and any secured loans have been paid off.

It is standard practice but it's not right and you should use that you made an offer and heard nothing back in your witness statement ( as well as that you knew nothing of the original claim or judgment until you checked your credit file )

Did you give Restons permission to contact you by email at all ? ( might have been Aqua you gave permission to discuss on email via the agreement ) really - have you found their email in your Junk mail or anything ?
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi
                    I have checked junk mail and all other mail boxes but no email from Reston's or Aqua!

I did have contact with Aqua over email.

I read that I can apply for an administration order would that stop the Final Order Charge?

Comment

Sounds extreme, What's your overall circumstances? https://www.gov.uk/options-for-payin...tration-orders - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...right-for-you/ you'd need to take advice from a debt advisor - Citizens Advice is probably best - actually it might be best if you make an appt with them and take all your documents to them with your overall situation to see what they suggest if you don't want to deal with the judgment or final charging order application yourself. It would stop the final charge being applied but it's likely the interim order would remain.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Sounds extreme, What's your overall circumstances? https://www.gov.uk/options-for-payin...tration-orders - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...right-for-you/ you'd need to take advice from a debt advisor - Citizens Advice is probably best - actually it might be best if you make an appt with them and take all your documents to them with your overall situation to see what they suggest if you don't want to deal with the judgment or final charging order application yourself. It would stop the final charge being applied but it's likely the interim order would remain.

Hi The Final charging order was made against the property in December despite me attending the court hearing.
                        Do you know of any Mortgage Brokers/Solicitors that have experience in helping people who want to either remortgage or sell their property with a charging order?
                        The Charging Order I believe is a restriction in standard Form K, as the debt is in my name only, but a joint Mortgage.

Thanks

Comment

If it is a restriction then it shouldn't stop you selling the property - the conveyancers should inform the restriction holder that the property is being sold and confirm to the potential buyers conveyancers that notice of the proposed sale has been given to the restriction holder. When the property is sold the debt is paid from any equity.

7.11 Form K (Charging order affecting beneficial interest – certificate required)

No disposition of the

{choose whichever bulleted clause is appropriate}
                          • registered estate, other than a disposition by the proprietor of any registered charge registered before the entry of this restriction
                          • registered charge dated {date} referred to above, other than a disposition by the proprietor of any registered sub-charge of that charge registered before the entry of this restriction

is to be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for registration or their conveyancer that written notice of the disposition was given to [name of person with the benefit of the charging order] at [address for service], being the person with the benefit of [an interim or a final] charging order on the beneficial interest of {name of judgment debtor} made by the {name of court} on [date] (Court reference {insert reference}).
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            If it is a restriction then it shouldn't stop you selling the property - the conveyancers should inform the restriction holder that the property is being sold and confirm to the potential buyers conveyancers that notice of the proposed sale has been given to the restriction holder. When the property is sold the debt is paid from any equity.
                            Thanks
                            Is it the same if we were to remortgage the property with a different lender?

I'm also looking at taking my name off the mortgage and my partner can try to remortgage in her name only, is this viable option?

Comment

If you remortgage the same property in both names the charging order will go with you.... and the bank may want it to be paid off before they will offer a new mortgage on it ( so will depend on any equity and what the LTV would be including the charge). To remortgage in just your partners name would mean you'd have to pay the restriction - because, in essence, you'd be selling the house to your partner. Your best bet is to talk to your mortgage broker.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X