• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with court action from Lowell Portfolio - old capital one debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with court action from Lowell Portfolio - old capital one debt

Hi,
    i am hoping someone can help? I may have already mucked things up!
    Brief outline
    County Court business centre claim form issued on 02 July received, claimant Lowell portfolio for capital one credit card. Acknowledgment of service filled online Defence also filled at this time on line. My defence was I do not admit liability as I have not acknowledged the debt in writing or paid any part in the last 6 years therefore the debt has now become statute barred. Also stated in defence that I have requested copies and evidence to show otherwise if claimant can provide evidence to show that this debt is not statute barred. Therefore defendant seeks the claim to be dismissed by the court under the limitations act 1980, section 5. (This is all a shortened defence that was submitted). I sent a recorded letter (11/07/18) to Lowell solicitors, which is a basic Statute Barred letter stating that I do not admit liability and I will defend on this basis, also for them to send within 21 days any evidence that this debt is not statute barred.
    11/07/18 - I receive a letter from court acknowledging receipt of my defence and a copy is served to claimant.
    21/07/18 - I receive a letter from Lowell Solicitors enclosed is a directions questionnaire which they have agreed to mediation.
    27/07/18 - I make a call to the courts as I still do not have a directions questionnaire so unsure on what to do, they advised that Lowell had gone about this incorrectly and should have waited until the court had received their questionnaire before Lowell sending me a copy of theirs. So advised that I wait until I hear from the court.
    02/08/18 - I have now received a notice of proposed allocation to small claims and a directions questionnaire to be filled with the court by 20/08/18.
    So that’s it from start to finish, I am sure that (now I have read further information and found this great site) I have gone about this in the wrong way, so do I accept mediation and just (hopefully) Arrange a payment plan with Lowell? Although as I only have my income currently, this will be hard to find the money! I also do not want it to go to court and have a ccj entered against me! OR do I quickly send in CCA and or CPR requests? Please help? Thanks
    Tags: None

It sounds like you are fine, don't worry. Yes, you jumped ahead a bit as you've now seen, but it's not fatal ..... you should send the CCA request now - it is too late for the CPR request as that's only really valid pre-allocation. So send back the Directions Questionnaire - agree to mediation - and send a copy of it to the Claimants solicitor ( Lowell Solicitors? ) - then send a CCA request with £1 to Lowell Portfolio.

Now the statute barred part - does anything show on your credit file for this debt ? do you know the date it defaulted ? and have you made any payments after June 2012 ?

You could send a SAR to Capital One as well to get more details.

You did right in contacting the court regarding Lowells early submission of the Directions Questionnaire

If it is shown not to be statute barred then you might need to amend your defence to include the CCA issues ( once they are in default after 14 days ).
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks so much for your speedy advice! I am sure that nothing shows on my credit file? However I need to sign up to Equifax to double check this I’m guessing as I use clear score and not confident that this site contains everything ? I can not find any payment details going back as far as June 2013, but again I need to go back further than this which is proving harder than I first thought due to not having all paper work! I am unsure of the date it went to default as can not find the original letter, had a flood in my house a long time ago which meant a lot of letters got destroyed! I will send off the CCA request later tonight, and fill in my directions questionnaire, as I have to go to work now, Trying to fit all this in with my crazy work commitments is very stressful!! but thank you so much for your help, it is very much appreciated! Your site is amazing, you people are amazing, I wish that I had found your site sooner! Thank you!

Comment

Try clearscore, mse credit club and noddle (just google) all three are free ways to check your credit file each month without any subscriptions or payments. And if you check all three that covers Equifax, experian and callcredit.

I've moved your thread to the live court claim forum so you don't get lost in the welcome forum.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X