• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Empty gas bottles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty gas bottles.

Hi. I am a home brewer. I have to pressurise my barrel. I use a S30 gas cylinder to do this. The shop in Devon allows me to send back the EMPTY and they will send back a replacement filled bottle. I sent 2 of these through the post. The empty bottles were valued at £25 but I am limited to£20. I sent 2 packages. I got a letter from RM saying that they had been seized as the packages were open and considered to be dangerous. This is the post office throwing it’s weight around again.

To put it in a way you legal beagles would understand, Soda syphons, which you will have used at some time in your life, would use a small green bulb filled with CO2. However, when used, they are empty and there is a clear visible hole in them. Could these be seen as dangerous? The S30 bottles are a lot bigger than the green bulbs.

The post office withheld the bottles and destroyed them. I have a letter confirming this. I intend to take them to the small claims court with a solicitor as well.

Can I claim the postage back as the post office confiscated these and they did not go through the system? What is the legal wording of the post office. You sent it therefore you can’t have that the postage back?

If any of you have used those green gas bulbs, could you conceivably see them as being dangerous. These S30 bottles are just larger bottles. You could google S30 gas yourself. These are the ones with the red band at the top.

I am also confused as I sent this through the local post office but the letter came from Royal Mail, at what pont does this change over and is there any legal diffrence between them as they apear to be one and the same.
    Last edited by Desotuatail; 1st September 2024, 07:50:AM.
    Tags: None

Royal Mail classes empty gas cylinders as prohibited items which cannot be sent through the post:

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/roya...ms-english.pdf

A quick check suggests most online homebrew shops refer to this e.g.

**** PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE ONLY AVAILABLE FOR LAND COURIER DELIVERY**** We are not able to send these by Royal Mail because they are classified as hazardous.

Comment

I think you are on to a loser here.

The Royal Mail list of prohibited items includes:
      "Gases, including flammable, non-flammable, toxic and compressed gases (new, used and empty gas cylinders, ethane, butane, refills for lighters, fire extinguishers and scuba tanks, life jackets, nitrogen dioxide and carbon dioxide canisters (culinary foaming devices & soda stream) also see Aerosols and Lighters)"

It is the senders' responsibility to ensure they comply with the regulations
      Last edited by des8; 1st September 2024, 08:25:AM. Reason: crossed with @Huxie

Comment

you wont win taking RM to court over this sorry. DAC beachcroft will have you

Comment

Originally posted by Desotuatail View Post
          I am also confused as I sent this through the local post office but the letter came from Royal Mail, at what pont does this change over and is there any legal diffrence between them as they apear to be one and the same.
          The Post Office and Royal Mail are different companies and are no longer related.

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

just for some clarity to the above for OP

you sent it from a post office. RM collect the item from your post office and then are responsible for delivering it, hence they are the ones who will have destroyed it

Comment

Ok thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X