• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claims for Property Service Charge - Dispute Over Instalment Payments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claims for Property Service Charge - Dispute Over Instalment Payments

I have been receiving my service charge bills twice a year, and for about 10 years, I paid the entire bill each time I received it. However, the living costs and service charge has continuously increased over time. In 2022, I requested to pay my service charge in monthly instalments. The property management company advised me to pay in 5 monthly instalments, without mentioning any specific duration or reapplication requirements.

When I received a final reminder from them in 2022, I immediately wrote back to inquire about my payment plan, and they responded that they noted I was paying monthly, and the remainder is generated automatically if the balance is not zero. I continued to pay in this manner for 18 months.

In late 2023, I received a payment demand and wrote back to the property management company, stating, Im on a payment plan, please advise if otherwise. The property management company replied, You can continue to pay monthly; we updated our record, again without mentioning any terms or duration of the monthly payment plan.

It is reasonable to believe that like other bills such as council tax, business rates, utility bills, and telephone bills, once a monthly payment is set up without an end date, it will remain in effect until further notice of any changes.
    In 2024, I was shocked to receive the highest bill yet, with a significant increase, more than doubling to £5K. I intended to investigate the details but did not manage to do so. I received a Finaly reminder which states if you pay monthly, please ensure to pay the correct amount, also a final warning that -No payment is in breach of your lease covenant, so I paid my instalment by the due date as I had for the past two years. However, 3 weeks later, I received a pre-action letter stating that I breached my covenant to pay my service charge. I wrote to the property management company to clarify, but they have been avoiding any communication. The solicitor they engaged is claiming a large amount of legal costs without providing a breakdown and is threatening additional costs, court action, and adding fees to my mortgage in every single email.

The dispute centres around the solicitor's argument that my monthly payment plan ended when the new bill arrived this year and that full payment is required. However, I was never informed about any change in my payment plan during this entire period, otherwise, I will contact the property management company to clarify or pay the full amount. In addition, Im continued paying my monthly instalment and the service charge should be fully paid before the defence letter submission.

I received a court claim few days ago and acknowledged. I would like to dispute the lawyer fees they have enforced on my account, which now exceed £3K. I have never experience this before and unsure where I should start with the defence letter and what legal terms are relevant to my situation.

Your advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by WOHYD; 29th June 2024, 16:34:PM.
    Tags: None

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 22/06/24
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: YES
    Total Amount Claimed : £7400
    Claimant’s Name: Comer
    Solicitors Firm: Brady
    Original Creditor: N/A
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : N/A
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ): We claim the sum of £xxx being money owed by Defendant for arrears was enclosed with a LBA sent to the Defendant. The Defendant has failed to make payment. The Claimant is authorised to bring this claim under the terms of the lease. The landlord is entitled to exercise the right of re-entry in the event of the Defendant's non-payment of arrears under S.146/147 of the Law of Property Act 1925. 5. The defendant has a contractual liability to pay costs charges and expenses incurred by the Claimant in this claim under the lease. The contractual costs claimed are £7000, and continue to accrue interest at the Statutory Court rate.....
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): No
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): No
    Last edited by WOHYD; 29th June 2024, 16:31:PM.

Comment

The solicitor continues to threaten me with additional costs and actions. Is there anything I can do to hold them off for now before filing the defense letter? I received a breakdown of legal fees as follows: Letter before action: £400, Costs of issuing claim: £1500, Costs for contacting lender: £400, etc. Can I request more information from them?
      Is the CPR 31.14 applicable here?

Your advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.
      Last edited by WOHYD; 2nd July 2024, 16:30:PM.

Comment

What court is listed on the top of the claim form?

Comment

Northampton Civil National Business Centre

Comment

small claims so no legal costs

Comment

Its the legal costs incurred by the landlord and charged to me...

Comment

Right but they can't charge legal costs for small claims aside from very few fixed ones.

stop worrying over some third class solicitors getting upset.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X