• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amending the SoC in MCOL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amending the SoC in MCOL

Hello. I am the Claimant looking to amend the Statement of Claim to alter the relief sought and the amount of damages. Although the directions questionnaire has already been submitted to the court, the case has not yet been allocated to a specific track (though both parties agree on small claims) and no hearing date has been set.
    1. Is it possible to amend the SoC before the hearing date is set, or can it only be amended during the hearing? Will there be any additional fees for making this amendment?
    2. Practically, how can I amend the SoC if it was originally submitted online? Should I submit a revised form online?

Additionally, I haven't yet submitted a reply with my evidence in response to the defense. Should I request the court's permission to do so, or should I wait and present it at the hearing?

Thank you.

Tags: None

Hi Bryan

Welcome to LB

You can apply to the Court to amend your Statement of Case.
    Use form N244, there will be a fee for doing so.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...l/rules/part17

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ourt-fees-ex50

You need to get this right, you don't want to end up amending the amendment.

Comment

If you are increasing the amount of your claim, you may need to pay an additional court fee.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If you change your PoC the defendant will probably want to re-submit their defence and you may want to change your reply to defence.
        Your evidence should be held back until you file your witness statement

Comment

Thank you all for your useful replies! I have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Can I request that the judge ignore the part of the relief I originally sought in the SoC, acknowledging that I'm not entitled to it, instead of formally amending the document?

I'm still unsure about the Reply which I didn't include with the questionnaire: Can I submit this to the court, or will there be a chance to do so before the hearing? I'd like to address several points and think it would be best to have them detailed in writing.

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
          If you change your PoC the defendant will probably want to re-submit their defence and you may want to change your reply to defence.
          Your evidence should be held back until you file your witness statement
          This is very helpful ^^^. Does that mean that I can provide my witness statement (I presume I can do this verbally during the hearing) and then provide supporting evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by bryanclansey View Post
            Can I request that the judge ignore the part of the relief I originally sought in the SoC, acknowledging that I'm not entitled to it, instead of formally amending the document?
            No.

I'm still unsure about the Reply which I didn't include with the questionnaire: Can I submit this to the court, or will there be a chance to do so before the hearing? I'd like to address several points and think it would be best to have them detailed in writing.
            You should have filed this with the questionnaire. Are you sure that a Reply is necessary? If you must file one, do it NOW.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

When you receive a court order providing the hearing date you will be ordered to exchange and file witness statements, evidence and be given a date to do this by. You will be given the opportunity to present your witness statement at the hearing.
              Did you make your claim on MCOL? If yes, did you manage to get your full PoC in the box provided (28 lines)?
              The legal advice is to file your Reply to Defence with your Directions Questionnaire and send a copy to the defendant at the same time. So it is probably best to do that now and not wait. You could send an email attaching your reply to defence

Regarding changing your PoC just to reduce the amount claimed, I'm not sure. Other forum users may have had personal experience and can give you an answer
              If the defendant denied they were liable for this part of the claim, you could agree to this point in your reply to defence, so the judge is aware it is not disputed

Comment

When you receive a court order providing the hearing date you will be ordered to exchange and file witness statements, evidence and be given a date to do this by. You will be given the opportunity to present your witness statement at the hearing.
                Did you make your claim on MCOL? If yes, did you manage to get your full PoC in the box provided (28 lines)?
                The legal advice is to file your Reply to Defence with your Directions Questionnaire and send a copy to the defendant at the same time. So it is probably best to do that now and not wait. You could send an email attaching your reply to defence

Regarding changing your PoC just to reduce the amount claimed, I'm not sure. Other forum users may have had personal experience and can give you an answer
                If the defendant denied they were liable for this part of the claim, you could agree to this point in your reply to defence, so the judge is aware it is not disputed
                Excellent, thank you very much. This makes sense. Yes, I managed to get the key parts of the SoC into the online form.

The Defendant objected to a part of the relief where I claimed costs (my mistake, as the parties bear their own costs) and threatened to apply to court, if I don't accept their lowball settlement, to strike out the claim based on 'unreasonable or improper' behaviour. Hence, my question re changing the SoC to avoid this.

Ah okay, I thought I had lost my opportunity to submit a reply to the defence. Yes, I would like to submit it to rebut some of the Defendant's statements so I don't look like a fool.

I can explain everything else in the witness statement.

Comment

The Defendant objected to a part of the relief where I claimed costs (my mistake, as the parties bear their own costs) and threatened to apply to court, if I don't accept their lowball settlement, to strike out the claim based on 'unreasonable or improper' behaviour. Hence, my question re changing the SoC to avoid this.
                  If that is the only change, don't bother. You can explain yourself to the judge at the hearing; You won't be the first to do this and he/she should understand.

Is that the only ground on which the other party threatens to apply to strike your claim out?

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                    If that is the only change, don't bother. You can explain yourself to the judge at the hearing; You won't be the first to do this and he/she should understand.

Is that the only ground on which the other party threatens to apply to strike your claim out?

They also state that they are not the correct Respondent and allege that I am aware I have no claim against that legal entity. I'm not worried about this claim, as it's something they need to prove, and I am ready to submit my evidence.

I have a related question: Can I ask the defendant to disclose documents?

This is a tech dispute with the defendant having lots of affiliates providing various services to each other. I want to see their intracompany agreements, which should exist. I don't have a reference to a specific document, but I am sure something like a service level agreement should be there.

I can prove my points with other evidence, but this might help and will put pressure on them.

Comment

CPR Part 31 Disclosure and Inspection of Documents is omitted under Part 27 The Small Claims Track
                      Both parties have stated their preferred track is the Small Claims Track so unless the claim is for more than £10k it is likely to be allocated to the small claims track

Comment

We are finally getting to the heart of the matter. Are you certain that you have sued the correct defendant?

Please download the guide for litigants in person - link in my signature block.

Comment

CPR Part 31 Disclosure and Inspection of Documents is omitted under Part 27 The Small Claims Track
                          Both parties have stated their preferred track is the Small Claims Track so unless the claim is for more than £10k it is likely to be allocated to the small claims track
                          Yes, thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X