• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Litter Fine - Exceptional Circumstances?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litter Fine - Exceptional Circumstances?

Hi there,

While in the car, my toddler needed the toilet. We pulled over at the next lay-by and I hurriedly emptied the contents of his travel pot
    so he could use it again.

A few weeks later, I got a fine from Enfortis (on behalf of Lincs County Council for littering.

I appealed, stating exceptional cirumstances as we had to empty the pot quickly to prevent my boy having an accident.

They declined and said there was a bin in the layby.

But it was dark, and the wheelie type bin was obscured by bushes and undergrowth and camouflaged. I honestly didn't see it at the time (only on the photo they sent later).
    I was in such a hurry/panic I admit I didn't look for a bin.

My question is, is this likely to go to magistrated court, and if it does, would I be successful in defending.

The other thing is, we live 4 hours away from Boston, so attending would take a day, so I wouldn't attend court. Do you know if I can submit a statement in my defence?

Thank you so much for any help.

Rob
    Tags: None

Is this not a set penalty where you pay and hear no more? If so it will not go to court unless you choose to say you are not guilty. I would not think you have grounds for that but don't know much about littering other than I hate it.

Comment

If you've got evidence that the bin was not visible, that might help.

If there is a Hearing, then you might be able to get it moved, I don't know if telephone Hearing is possible.

Litter is a 'blight'. So much around here. It was better for a 'while', now it's worse then ever.

Comment

If the matter went to court you will have to appear. Only in exceptional circumstances will we allow online participation (video link). Take this into account when deciding whether to pay the fine or plead not guilty

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X