• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notice of court claim issued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of court claim issued

Hi,
    I have received an email this morning about a debt on behalf of Lowell Portfolio saying I will soon receive a county court claim. I am not sure what this debt is for. I also moved to my current address almost 7 years ago and all old debts should have disappeared as they are more than 6 years old?
    any advice please how to act in this one? I would like to dispute it if I can.
    Tags: None

It might be speculative.

If no payments has been made or written acknowledgement in the last 6 years, then the debt might be statute barred providing there is no CCJ recorded against you.

You could just wait to see if anything transpires.

Comment

I know no payments have been made for over 6 years but I do not know what you mean by written acknowledgement?

Comment

Originally posted by aladdin View Post
        I know no payments have been made for over 6 years but I do not know what you mean by written acknowledgement?
        Writing to the Creditor acknowledging that you owe the money.

Comment

Please read the article at https://ivaplan.co.uk/latest-tips/li...rs-chase-debts
          In particular take note of the information under the heading "Are there exceptions to the Limitation Act 1980?"

Different types of debt have different limitation periods

The limitation period can be extended if the debtor changes address and fails to notify the creditor

Comment

So my debts are all unsecured. If I’m not mistaken they cannot pursue after 6 years? I have received correspondence too so they know my current address. If I ask for credit files to check if these debts are there or not, will that help? As in in they are no longer on file?

Comment

Originally posted by aladdin View Post
              So my debts are all unsecured. If I’m not mistaken they cannot pursue after 6 years? I have received correspondence too so they know my current address. If I ask for credit files to check if these debts are there or not, will that help? As in in they are no longer on file?
              You can check your credit files online, it's free.

You can send them a statute barred template, see what they come back with. MaKe sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ed-debt-letter

Comment

Provided it has been over 6 years since the last known payment or admittance of debt by the debtor, the creditor cannot start legal proceedings.
                You stated you notified the creditor of your change of address, or they found it out themselves

You should reply to Lowell Portfolio stating you will vigorously defend any court claim for repayment of debt, if in fact there is a debt as you are not aware of one, on the grounds the claim is time barred under the Limitations Act 1980

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X