• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims in Eastern Europe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claims in Eastern Europe

Hello

I was recently in Lithuanian. I hired a car for a number of weeks. On hiring the car I was informed that as I didn't have an international licence (post brexit) I had to take out their extra insurance cover. It was actually e30 a day, so it added up to e900. I already had additional insurance cover that I took out when I booked, but they said it needed to be theirs. I have seen online that they have pulled this scam with other people. What is my best path of action? I have emailed them and they have not replied.

I appreciate you reading and any feedback
    Tags: None

It may be a scam in the sense of commercial sharp practice but what makes you think it is illegal under Lithuanian law? I know nothing about Lithuanian law but I guess you would need to prove that their requirements breached local law on unfair consumer contracts or some such.

I assume you accepted their contract terms at the time and agreed to pay the additional insurance premiums.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Indeed that's why I'm posting, I have no idea what the law is, or how best to learn it.And yes I had to accept the terms because he told me it was essential for the car hire. From the reviews they do a lot of other stuff as well. Not returning deposit etc. I've read 30+ claims of dishonesty and there are many more.
      Last edited by H20; 14th February 2024, 16:42:PM.

Comment

I don't think you will find many Lithuanian lawyers here, it's a UK law site. Sorry. It's not immediately obvious that anything illegal has happened.

Did you deal direct with the car hire company in Lithuania? Or did they have a UK agent that you made the booking through?

Incidentally Lithuania isn't an eastern European country, it's a Baltic state.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Why did you not obtain an international licence from the post office, quite a simple process, I have travelled all over Europe including Eastern Europe, Even when we were a part of the EU I still made sure I had an international licence.

Comment

I booked the car independently of any other travel arrangements. I have travelled a lot and always hire a car, I've never encounter anyone asking for an International Licence (IL), even outside the EU. I cannot see anything that tell me that you need a IL. But also surely when booking online they should have request or at least told you that an IL was needed. I'm so sure this is fraud, as so many other people have posted reviews expressing the same opinion.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/c...ving%20licence.

Comment

British citizens need an International Driving Licence to drive in the EU. £6 from a Post Office.

Another Brexit benefit.

EDIT - the above is what I understood, having had one of those shoddy bits of card for a couple of years. The latest government advice is here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/in...driving-permit
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The reason I obtain International licence ( only last for 12 mths) because my first time in Serbia (non EU) I had to obtain a separate insurance at the border (£100).

Also do insurance companies give (the old green card) nowdays?

Comment

Mine lasts 3 years.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by tesla6518 View Post
                    Also do insurance companies give (the old green card) nowdays?
                    Yes if needed but not usually needed in Europe

"The UK is part of the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA), which comprises all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Switzerland. UK-based drivers do not need to carry green cards for their vehicles when travelling to these countries."

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-clai...stem-explained

Comment

Having checked all the available information on Lithuanian car hire, the car lease should have covered the minimum 3rd party car insurance, it may be that the company had it's own rules that required further insurance to cover any damage to their vehicle. I would read all your paperwork very carefully in case this is the reason for the extra insurance

Comment

Hi I'm sure looking into this it was a fraudulent endeavour. However, Lithuanian doesn't appear to have a small claims court system like the UK. Is this something I might be able to claim back from my credit/debit card?

Thank you for your comments

Comment

[QUOTE=atticus;n1668797]British citizens need an International Driving Licence to drive in the EU. £6 from a Post Office.

Another Brexit benefit.

/QUOTE]

Small price to pay...

Comment

Here are some steps you can take:
                            1. Gather evidence: Collect all documents related to the car rental, including the rental agreement, insurance details, and any emails you exchanged.
                            2. Report the incident: File a complaint with the Lithuanian National Consumer Protection Authority (https://www.vvtat.lt/en) explaining the situation and providing copies of your evidence.
                            3. Contact your travel insurer: Inform your travel insurance provider about the situation and see if they can offer any assistance in recovering the additional insurance cost.
                            4. Consider legal advice: Depending on the amount involved and your desired outcome, consulting a lawyer specializing in consumer rights or travel disputes might be beneficial.

Remember, responding promptly can increase your chances of a successful resolution.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X