• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim form received - need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim form received - need help

I have received a claim form with JC international as claimant. The particulars of claim state the defendant owes the claimant £5460 under a credit card agreement with monument visa dated 17/06/2004 and which was assigned to the claimant and notice which was given to the defendant.
    I have never acknowledged this debt and hence believe it should be statute barred. Also I understand I should ask for a CCA. I need to know how to defend the claim and what I write as my defence. Please help
    Tags: None

Hi

There are several things you need to do
    1) Go online and acknowledge the claim and tick you will defend all. That gives you an extra 14 days to get a defence in - or settle if you want.
    2) Send a CCA request with the £1 fee to the claimant
    3) Send a CPR31.14 request asking for the documents mentioned in the claim- does it mention default notice- if not that is important
    I would send a SAR to monument as well to get all the details

No need to answer here but can you remember how you applied- they really do need a signed copy of the agreement.

You might want to PM pt2537 If you can afford it you may want to see what he would charge to draft a defence etc, he really is very good but if you can do it yourself at this point so much the cheaper.

The SAR may tell you when the DN was issued and when the last payment was made- you need a clear 6 years from last payment or expiry of the DN for it to be SB (5 in Scotland)

Comment

I am 100% sure I have made no payments to this debt and it’s statute barred. However the lawyer representing stated their client said a payment was made in July 2018 which is 100% not true. I asked for evidence and they said they will ask the claimant for it.
      I also asked them for a copy of my CCA and they replied they will get from their client and proceeded to put the court claim on hold indefinitely until they get the credit agreement.
      The lawyer said as it’s on hold I don’t need to respond within 14 days now to the court claim (which I’m suspicious about)

Comment

Matty how would I go about asking for a CPR 31.14 is this via my defence or to the solicitor representing the claimant?

Comment

Originally posted by Strikeout View Post
          Matty how would I go about asking for a CPR 31.14 is this via my defence or to the solicitor representing the claimant?
          You would send the CPR31.14 request to the claimants along with the CCA request. It is always useful to copy in the claimants solicitor.

atticus might be able to direct you to draft form or
          echat11 might also be able to help

Comment

You send the following, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

Regarding the solicitor stating it's on 'Hold', unless you have it in writing, I personally would file the Defence within the claim date providing you have Acknowledge of Service.

Comment

The actual claimant JC international are based in Georgia USA. Their local solicitor Moriarty law have said to me over the phone that I should send any requests for documents to them.

I have just now asked to get confirmation in writing my claim is on hold. Even now they are saying we are happy to write off 50% of alleged debt. I really feel they thought I would ignore the claim form and then they would get an immediate CCJ.

Comment

The actual claimant JC international are based in Georgia USA. Their local solicitor Moriarty law have said to me over the phone that I should send any requests for documents to them.

I have just now asked to get confirmation in writing my claim is on hold. Even now they are saying we are happy to write off 50% of alleged debt. I really feel they thought I would ignore the claim form and then they would get an immediate CCJ.
                Because of the age of the account it does sound like they don't have a copy of the original agreement. Update the thread a week before your defence is due.

Comment

Would you suggest I still write my defence and what things should I put in there? Should I write in the defence part I have discussed with Moriarty law to get a copy of CCA and they have said case is on hold until they get it.

should I also add the statute barred aspect - so that I have two defences listed?

Comment

Would you suggest I still write my defence and what things should I put in there? Should I write in the defence part I have discussed with Moriarty law to get a copy of CCA and they have said case is on hold until they get it.

should I also add the statute barred aspect - so that I have two defences listed?

Provide the following information, copy and paste back to thread without personal information:

Received a claim? Yes/No:
                    Issue Date:
                    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
                    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
                    Claimant’s Name:
                    Solicitors Firm:
                    Original Creditor:
                    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
                    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
                    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
                    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
                    Any Other Information or Background Details:

a) First Acknowledge the Claim, you can do this online, this will give you 28 days in total to work on your defence.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

b) Send a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the data they hold on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

c) Send a CCA request, they have 12 days to provide a copy of the original agreement. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

d) Send a CPR 31.14 request, they will provide all the documents they are relying on to make the claim against you, again get Proof of Postage.

e) This is an example Defence, start looking at it, don't fill or file it yet.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Don't speak to creditors, solicitors etc over the phone, everything in writing. Keep on top of this, especially dates for filing defence etc.

Comment

Ok thanks echat11 I will look at this over the week d.
                      I got an email response just now from claimants solicitor with the following. This was in response to the CCA request.

We are emailing in regards to your recent telephone conversation with one of our Litigation Executives.

We can confirm that we have referred the matter to our Client and will contact you again on receipt of a response.

In the meantime, the account will remain on hold and collection activity has been suspended.

Please be assured that you do not have to respond to the claim form until you have received the supporting documentation and then you will have 14 days to respond. However, please note that this will affect the amount of months you have to pay if you choose to go ahead with the concessionary agreement options.

Comment

Ok thanks echat11 I will look at this over the week d.
                        I got an email response just now from claimants solicitor with the following. This was in response to the CCA request.

We are emailing in regards to your recent telephone conversation with one of our Litigation Executives.

We can confirm that we have referred the matter to our Client and will contact you again on receipt of a response.

In the meantime, the account will remain on hold and collection activity has been suspended.

Please be assured that you do not have to respond to the claim form until you have received the supporting documentation and then you will have 14 days to respond. However, please note that this will affect the amount of months you have to pay if you choose to go ahead with the concessionary agreement options.
                        O.K., so 'hold fire', wait until they comeback with a response to your CCA request. You've got it in writing, that they've put a 'hold' on the matter.

Once they do, update the thread.

Comment

Received a claim? Yes/No: yes and acknowledged it
                          Issue Date:
                          Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: yes
                          Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) was £550” but with interest and court charges now £6500
                          Claimant’s Name:Jc international acquisition llc
                          Solicitors Firm:moriarty law limited
                          Original Creditor:monument visa
                          Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :credit card
                          Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ): the defendant owes the claimant £5500 (debt) under a credit card agreement with monument visa dates 17/06/2004 and which was assigned to the claimant and notice of which was given defendant. Despite formal demands for payment of the debt the defendant has failed to pay and the claimant claims £5500 and also claims interest thereonpursuant to section 69 of the county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to £450
                          Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):no however they claim a payment was made in June 2018. I am convinced this is not possible.
                          List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): asked for cca and got an email to say case on hold
                          Any Other Information or Background Details: this debt must have been sold several times over the last 19 years.

Issue date is 12th October 2023 on claim form.

a) First Acknowledge the Claim, you can do this online, this will give you 28 days in total to work on your defence.

I have acknowledge claim
                          https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

b) Send a SAR request, they have 30 days to provide all the data they hold on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

is this to claimant asking for details they have on me ?
                          https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

c) Send a CCA request, they have 12 days to provide a copy of the original agreement. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.
                          have asked solicitor verbally on phone and they said have sent to claimant and then sent me an email saying claim is on hold

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

d) Send a CPR 31.14 request, they will provide all the documents they are relying on to make the claim against you, again get Proof of Postage.

will do this shortly

e) This is an example Defence, start looking at it, don't fill or file it yet.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Comment

Just to check
                            Have you actually sent a S78 request (CCA) to moriarty law along with the £1. This is your legal protection.

I would lodge a defence within the timeframe even if they do not get back to you- lawyers have a habit of sneaking in a default judgement and I wouldn’t trust this lot as far as you could chuck me

Finally are we really saying it started life as 550 and is now 5500? Was a default notice ever issued?

If the claimant are in the US are they registered with the FCA?

I will leave you back in these guys capable hands

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X