• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Part 7 or Part 8?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starrysky
    started a topic Part 7 or Part 8?

Part 7 or Part 8?

We rented a self contained annex. My previous landlord charged us more than 1 week's holding fee and 5 week deposit. The non-assured shorthold tenancy agreement stipulated that the deposit would be held in a separate account. The landlord increased the rent by 50% when the fixed term ended and made us accept it or end the tenancy. After the tenancy ended, the landlord charged us prohibited fees under Tenancy Fees Act and made it hard to have our deposit back. He didn’t provide any evidence to prove we hadn't returned the property to the status when we moved in. He didn’t provide any information about the account that holds our deposit.

Should we start the claim via Part 7 or Part 8? I think the landlord has breached the contract and Tenancy Fees Act, and therefore there’s minimum disputes of facts. I asked for some advice and was told the contract may be AST because the landlord had some lodgers in their house.
    Tags: None

• islandgirl
    replied
    If a deposit should have been protected and was not you can claim 3 x the value from the Landlord. There may also be other issues if it was an AST. Any shared facilities may mean you were a lodger of some description and you really need some expert advice. Many solicitors will give you a free initial consultation or try speaking to shelter themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Starrysky
    replied
    Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    was the deposit protected in a scheme? You can search a central register if unsure.
    It is not protected under any schemes. I read from other sources that my tenancy should be AST because I paid council tax. However, the tenancy wasn’t AST.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    was the deposit protected in a scheme? You can search a central register if unsure.

Leave a comment:

• Starrysky
    replied
    Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    scotland?
    England…
    separate council tax
    separate TV license
    own external door to my living area
    can exclude others from my living area by locking the door
    have own kitchen, washroom
    have postcode

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    scotland?

Leave a comment:

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X