• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should I sue a Contractor for not honoring warranty on $60,000 court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I sue a Contractor for not honoring warranty on $60,000 court?

Note: In Ontario Canada, I am able to make a small claim up to $35,000.

When my mother passed away, she left me enough to complete a small dream of mine, which was to build a racquetball court in my home.

The home was in the process of being designed at the time, and the designer worked with the rball court company to make sure the design of the court would work.

When the court was installed, the contractor stated that panels (plus the wood floor) are susceptible to humidity, and should be watched carefully.

I heeded his advice, watched the levels intently, and maintained them vigorously (even having neighbors check on the dehumidifier when I was out of town).

After the first year, certain panels had begun to warp. I brought this to the attention of the contractor via e-mail (which never received a response), and then via text. His answer was: "I know this isn't helpful now, but I am curious to see how the panels react when it is winter and they are back to being heated."

So I reluctantly decided to see if this would help, and if the panels would possible shrink back and 'fix' themselves as the winter months kicked in.

Fast forward to today, and not only didn't they go back, but others are now slightly warped (in varying locations spread around the 4 walls).

These panels were sold to me with a 10 year warranty on them. I sent another e-mail/text and have not received a response.

$60,000 was for the entire court (floor, door, and ceiling included) - the panels that need replacement are the 4 walls, so I think that $35,000 should cover it.

Notes:
    1. I assume if I did sue, he would counter that there may be a roof leak etc. If this were the case, that would mean the entire roof is leaking all the way around the court (since all 4 walls are effected). The back wall also connects directly to the home, so no roof seam directly over it.

2. There is a court I have been to down in Syracuse NY, which is 40 years old. For the first 25-30 years they had NO air conditioning. This court would be like a humid sauna during the summer months, to a level that was dangerous to actually try and play. The panels in that court are not warped. I mentioned this in my e-mail asking why I didn't receive panels that were the same quality as panels sold 40 years ago.

Does this sound like I have a case?
    Tags: None

Sorry, but this is a UK law forum.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X