• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sue an individual if company no longer trading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sue an individual if company no longer trading

Hi,

If a company has either ceased trading, has recommenced trading in a different name, or is in liquidation can I sue the owner of the company directly?

Many Thanks
    Tags: None

I am sure members will need to know if it is a Ltd company?

Comment

Yes it is

Comment

Generally no because the Limited company is a different "legal person" to the directors. The directors are not personally responsible for the company's debts so you can't sue them for money the company owes you, nor can you sue the company's shareholders/owners.

There could be limited special circumstances where the directors are personally liable though so tell us the full story.
        Last edited by PallasAthena; 7th July 2023, 08:07:AM.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thank you. I am not able to share as much info as I would like on a public forum, as it could easily be identifying.

The owner is a former employer. I believe he sold the company for a very large sum and then later repurchased the company for a very small sum. From what I can understand the company has been renamed very slightly, several times, and is still trading, but I believe is in liquidation and shows minimal assets.

I believe the owner has done this to intentionally conceal assets, move money around and to avoid being sued.

He also owns multiple other companies of different trading and business types and is an extremely wealthy individual.

Comment

Almost certainly the answer is "no".

You should notify the liquidator of your claim, just in case there is any possibility of a payment to unsecured creditors.

The circumstances in which you, rather than a liquidator, can bring action against individuals are rare, and such cases are very complicated.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you. How would I find out who the liquidator is? It was the owners solicitor who has stated that the company is in liquidation and the owner is denying any liability and trying to claim that his other employees and individuals are liable.

It's very confusing as on companies house the only info I can see regarding any insolvency relates to the company previously being dissolved. However they are still trading, but have registered the company under a very slightly different name which is showing as an active company.

Could you expand on what kinds of circumstances could action be brought against the owner directly?

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
                Generally no because the Limited company is a different "legal person" to the directors. The directors are not personally responsible for the company's debts so you can't sue them for money the company owes you, nor can you sue the company's shareholders/owners.

There could be limited special circumstances where the directors are personally liable though so tell us the full story.
                Thank you. Are there any examples of special circumstances when director would be personally liable?

Comment

Originally posted by Northmark View Post

Thank you. Are there any examples of special circumstances when director would be personally liable?
                  Yes there are a couple.

1. Piercing the Corporate Veil. There are various strands to this but the most frequently used argument is that a company has been setup specifically as a sham to avoid legal liability. The courts will 'pierce' the veil between the company liability and the director liability and then hold the director responsible. This is a very difficult and complex argument and should not be used unless you have concrete evidence to prove your case. Many have tried this argument, very few have succeeded.

2. Tort of procuring a breach of contract. For you to succeed, you will need to show that the director acted in a way that intentionally caused a breach of contract between you and the company. In other words, the director had knowledge that there would be a breach of contract and in knowing that breach would occur, went ahead and committed an act that caused you to suffer some kind of economic loss.

There are other potentials but they are every niche and specific and since you have given very little information about the problem, I can't add anything else.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Another example would be where a director has given a personal guarantee in respect of a contract the company has entered into.
                    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thank you for the above examples, which are really helpful. If there are any other example circumstances please let me know, as it might help me to put together my claim.

I believe I do have adequate evidence of the above, which also includes publicly available company records of random and repeated chopping and changing of company name, dissolving company and then registering again, repeated resignations and reinstatements of directors and officers. There is also various news articles about the owner selling the said company for many millions and then purchasing again for a minimal amount. Also online information about another former employee reporting a criminal act carried out by the owner. He tends to have an unsavoury reputation, however he is extremely wealthy and seems to think he is above the law. I also found details of a court case between him and HMRC when he was trying to wrongfully claim expenses as a result of company being sold off, which I understand he lost the case. Could I use any of the above examples as extra evidence to support my claim?

What has happened so far is that I sent a reasonably friendly letter directly to him. I set out the basis of my complaint and did not mention any potential legal action, but asked him to consider a gesture of goodwill. He responded pretty much immediately, demanded to know who had given me his direct email address and sent me a barage of emails demanding I answered all of his questions before he would respond to my letter. I found his emails quite intimidating, but at the same time he led me to believe he was going to offer to settle amicably.

I then received a letter from his solicitor stating that the relevant company is in liquidation and claiming that his other individual employees, including one who is now deceased is liable and he denies any direct liability.

On companies house the business is showing as active and is currently trading with no mention of any insolvency. His denial of any liability seems ridiculous, as he is of course liable for actions of his employees.

I have now sent a letter of claim stating that if matters are not settled amicably I will take legal action. I also alleged that his solicitor is being complicit in attempting to deceive and mislead by claiming that random other individuals are liable, instead of the owner.

I feel like trying to claim through the company in some way would be extremely difficult, or impossible and believe that suing him directly would be much easier. Can I do that?

Comment

Look at the file for this company on Companies House website. If the company is in liquidation it will say so, and give the liquidator's details.

EDIT - I see you have done that. Point out your findings to the company's solicitor and ask for his comments.
                        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you. I just checked again and is definitely no mention of any liquidation. The only mention of any insolvency is from the previous registered name, which is only a very slight variation in the name That one states "dissolved". So I presume they are trying to claim that I would only potentially have a claim against the older "dissolved" company, which is effectively the same business / company?

I sent my letter of claim yesterday and requested a reply within 14 days. Should I wait to see what response is received, or should I write again to the solicitor questioning the above?

Comment

Have you done a search of the Insolvency notices published in the London Gazette?

Notices | Insolvency | The Gazette

Comment

Thank you. Yes I have just checked that as well. There are 2 insolvency notices previously listed for the same company, under slightly different business/company names.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X