• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Illegal Eviction 6 weeks into 12 month Tenancy

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    For the text of the letter see Atticus above or previous versions suggested in this thread. It will not be written for you in its entirity although you are welcome to write it and post here for improvement. You are able to express everything you believe should be in it on this thread so just put it into a letter. Do not worry about legal jargon. The compensation etc as Atticus says are clouding the issue - it is the eviction you need to deal with first.
    I thought Atticus advised I could sue / countersue. I don't see how compensation can be clouding issue, as it is related to the matter of eviction and without refund & compensation I would not be able to move home and would ultimately at some point be evicted and homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post

I thought Atticus advised I could sue / countersue. I don't see how compensation can be clouding issue, as it is related to the matter of eviction and without refund & compensation I would not be able to move home and would ultimately at some point be evicted and homeless.
      The draft examples previously posted are the best I can manage at the moment. I know they are not very good / clear drafts, which I why I need help with re-wording / editing / adding to etc.

Comment

Neptune Please forgive my idle curiosity but did you perchance post on here in the past, about your problems with the previous landlord, under the username Malibu1?

Comment

Without prejudice is for attempts to settle, not for statements of your position.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            Without prejudice is for attempts to settle, not for statements of your position.
            Thank you for the reply.

I am confused - So in addition to statement of my position / answering their allegations and stating my allegations, I would also like to attempt to settle by offering 2 options to the current LL:

1. I would consider continuing with the tenancy on the following terms:
            a.........
            b.........
            c........
            d..........

Or alternatively

2. I would consider agreeing to end the 12 month tenancy early and vacate the property on the following terms:
            a.......
            b.......
            c......
            d.......

Unless there is any specific reason I should not offer to settle as above? I assume if my offer/s to settle are refused and possession proceedings are commenced through the courts, would it not go in my favour that I have attempted to settle? Or would it be detrimental to my case at all that I have attempted to settle?

Comment

They want you out. Why bother with section 1. Section 2 yes (if you dont ask for compensation at this stage etc)

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                They want you out. Why bother with section 1. Section 2 yes (if you dont ask for compensation at this stage etc)
                Option 1 - Because that would be the best and most preferable outcome. The LL may change their mind about wanting to evict when they receive my response to their allegations and my counter allegations.

Option 2 - This option would not be possible without compensation, so adequate compensation would need to be part of the terms agreed. Or do you mean state that adequate compensation would be required, but not to specify an amount at this stage to see what they offer?

Comment

make your settlement offer in a separate letter. Simples.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post
                    Can I do a SAR request to a solicitor who is acting for another party, to see all communications exchanged between the solicitors and the landlords? I would like to know exactly how current LL was contacted regarding previous tenancy.
                    Communications between a solicitor and their client are generally exempt from SAR disclosure so don't waste your time with that. The solicitor will refuse to provide it and quote the SAR Legal Professional Privilege exemption.

What other exemptions are there? | ICO

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

make your settlement offer in a separate letter. Simples.
                      Thank you - So should I write a response letter answering their allegations and stating my counter allegations, and then enclose a separate letter outlining the 2 options above as my offer to settle? Should the separate letter with settlement options be marked as "without prejudice, subject to contract, save as to costs" or something like that, or should it not be marked as without prejudice?

If my offer/s to settle are refused and possession is sought through the courts, am I allowed to show a judge a "without prejudice" offer, to show that I made attempt to settle?

Comment

I repeat

Comment

I repeat
                          Thank you, Yes so should my separate letter, attempting to settle, be marked as without prejudice?

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post

Communications between a solicitor and their client are generally exempt from SAR disclosure so don't waste your time with that. The solicitor will refuse to provide it and quote the SAR Legal Professional Privilege exemption.

What other exemptions are there? | ICO
                            Thank you for the reply. That seems unfair as their solicitor is handling data relating to me.

Comment

yes.

Comment

yes.
                                Ok thank you. Can a without prejudice offer be shown to a judge if this matter goes to court, so that I could show the judge I made an attempt to settle?
                                Last edited by Neptune; 9th June 2023, 10:29:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X