• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default costs certificate wrongly issued?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default costs certificate wrongly issued?

I recently (for unavoidable reasons) discontinued a claim at the County Court (it had been allocated to the Multi-Track), and I know that I am liable for the other side's costs as a result.

I was acting as a Litigant in Person. The other side was represented by lawyers.

The lawyers sent me a Bill of Costs. They said that they would apply for a Detailed Assessment Hearing if the bill wasn't paid.

I wrote back within the 21-day time limit, setting out my Points of Dispute and making an offer.

The lawyers then wrote to me again, but their second letter was written in a way that suggested they hadn't read my reply, as they simply enclosed the original Bill of Costs, and made no reference whatsoever to my own letter or the offer it contained. It was almost like a 'reminder' letter rather than a reply to my own letter.

So I wrote back again and reiterated my Points of Dispute and the offer contained in my original letter.

I received no further reply (this all took place in February).

Now, to my shock, I have received through the post a letter from the court enclosing a Default Costs Certificate demanding the full amount of the costs (£7,226) demanded by the other side. The covering letter states that the certificate has been issued on the application of the other side and because "no points of dispute were received by this court".

I immediately emailed the other side's lawyers, asking why they had applied for a Default Costs Certificate before responding properly to my letters and offer. In their reply to my email, they admitted that there had been a "mix-up" at their end. They had received my letters, but they had not been opened or read. They also accepted that they should not have applied for a Default Costs Certificate in those circumstances.

I have accepted their apology. However, my question is: was it right for the court to issue the Default Costs Certificate simply on the application of the other side? Surely there must be a process in place that allows the paying party (in this case me) to put their case before the court issues the certificate. Otherwise it is surely a recipe for bad-faith applications. Also, why does the court's letter state: "No points of dispute were received by this court"? I was not aware that the paying party was obliged to send his Points of Dispute to the court. Surely the initial correspondence must take place between only the two parties, and the court only becomes involved when agreement cannot be reached and the receiving party applies for a Detailed Assessment Hearing? I might be wrong on that, but I cannot see that it is necessary to copy the court into every bit of correspondence before any Detailed Assessment Hearing has even been agreed!

I have written to the court and asked that the Default Costs Certificate be set aside. I'm not sure of the process for that, but there is no way I am going to pay the full Bill of Costs without having the chance to have my say first.

Any advice appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi,

Not too familiar with cost certificates but I believe an application needs to be made to set the default costs certificate aside using N244 form. The bill of costs, copy of the costs certificate and your points of dispute should be included in the application together with evidence and supporting information as to why the default certificate should be set aside.

The phrase "mix-up" used by the other side is probably another way of saying they were negligent and I would love to hear why they failed to open or read your points of dispute though it may be that they thought they could get away with it if you are litigant in person.

I would suggest that you write to the other side and get them to make a with notice application to set aside the default costs certificate given that this is their error and the fact they have applied for a default costs certificate on the basis that there was no points of dispute raised, is misleading the court. You should usually make the application promptly within 14 days so if the other side doesn't do it, then you need to submit that application yourself. Make sure you seek your costs of the application at the £19 per hour litigant in person rate.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X