• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Firm refuting claim - contract technicality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firm refuting claim - contract technicality

Hi all

A brief bit of background/context:

My late Great Uncle had a new porch installed in November 2012 with a 10-year transferable warranty. He died in early 2021 and left the property to his sister, who now rents the property to me and my wife. The porch roof developed a leak in September 2022 and we transferred the warranty into my name and attempted to make a warranty claim, which was refused on the grounds that there was no defect. I sent a Letter Before Claim to the firm back in March, and have now received their response.

Their response is that they believe there is no valid claim because the warranty was transferred into my name as a tenant, rather than my Great Aunt's name as the owner of the property. Indeed, the portion of the contract concerning warranty transfers states:

"If the purchaser sells the Property, the Company will on request transfer the unexpired portion of the Guarantee to the new owner provided that the nominal transfer fee is paid. The Company reserves the right to make a reasonable increase to the transfer fee on an annual basis. Any request for transfer must be made within three months of completion of the sale to allow the Company to advise the new owner of their maintenance obligations. Failing this, the Company reserve the right to charge the new owner for an inspection of the installation prior to transferring the guarantee."

I paid a fee of £150 to transfer the warranty, and the validity of the warranty (and transfer) has never been called into question until this point.

I obtained copies of the call recordings relating to the transfer, and at no point was it checked whether I was the owner, nor did I claim to be the owner. I advised the company during the call that I had 'moved into the property' rather than making any suggestion that I had purchased it or taken ownership, and was fully expecting at the time to be asked the name of the person to whom the warranty was to be transferred. This never happened, and it seems that the firm simply assumed that I was the new owner.

Are the company right to claim, or likely to succeed in claiming, that the fact that I am not the owner renders the transfer null and void? Or is the fact that the payment was made and accepted sufficient to illustrate their acceptance of the scenario and, if necessary, their acceptance of a change in the terms of the contract? None of what I said in the call recordings was inaccurate or deliberately misleading (indeed, I never set out to paint a different picture, believing that they would at some point ask for the name of the new warranty holder). Similarly, I cannot see that the company has suffered any loss or disadvantage through transferring the warranty to someone who, whilst possessing an interest in the property, is not the owner.

My belief is that the wording of the above clause is convenient rather than deliberate, if that makes sense? The drafter most likely foresaw no circumstance whereby anyone but the owner of the property would seek to benefit from the warranty and, indeed, in normal circumstances it would be utterly perverse for a landlord to assign a warranty to their tenants. Seemingly, the wording also seems to preclude (deliberately or not) the assignation of the warranty in situations where the property changes ownership but is not sold.

What are your thoughts on the matter, please?

Even if the matter looks to be weighted in the company's favour, would there be sufficient scope for me to make a reasonable argument otherwise? The company is using an external firm of solicitors, and I would envisage that their likely costs in defending the matter would probably be far in excess of the amount claimed by me. If I can make a claim that would be reasonable enough to avoid the threat of a costs order against me, I would likely go ahead in the hope that they might look to settle as the lesser of two evils. I'm pretty happy that the technical aspects of the claim stack up, so it's just a case of being able to prove (or at least submit a reasonable argument) that the warranty transfer is valid.

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Similarly, is their blunt response of "no contract = no claim" sufficient to count as a proper response to my LBC? None of the requested documentation has been supplied, neither have they indicated whether or not they would be willing to consider ADR. The sole item of evidence that they have provided to me has been a copy of the Register of Title showing my Great Aunt's name rather than my own.

If I decide to take this further, do I need to enter into any further correspondence with them (i.e. give them a further chance to provide the requested documents) or have I now fulfilled my requirements allowing me to now proceed with the Court application?

Where would this leave the company, in terms of defending the claim, if they later introduce any other documentation that they have not supplied at this point in response to my request for "any other documentation upon which Party B intends to rely in their defence of this claim"?

Comment

Hi, i dont know about your rights in relation to a valid claim, but i maybe can add some advice on how the insurance company might still refute any claim on the warranty.

They will ask questions like

Is the damage caused by a structural defect ( unseasoned wood, faulty roofing, bad workmanship )
      Has the required maintenance been adhered to ( IE painted any wood surfaces, kept drain canals clear )
      When was it first noticed, was it by the original owner

They will try ask you o prove that it was caused specifically by faulty materials or workman ship, and not low maintenance, accident or intentional act.
      They will ask you to prove when it was caused or first noticed.

Claiming at the very end of a long warranty period is a lot harder, becuase proving faulty workmanship or ,material after 10 years is hard, If theirs a clear obvious fault that identify it was the workmanship or material failure, maybe it would side with you,

crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
        Hi, i dont know about your rights in relation to a valid claim, but i maybe can add some advice on how the insurance company might still refute any claim on the warranty.

They will ask questions like

Is the damage caused by a structural defect ( unseasoned wood, faulty roofing, bad workmanship )
        Has the required maintenance been adhered to ( IE painted any wood surfaces, kept drain canals clear )
        When was it first noticed, was it by the original owner

They will try ask you o prove that it was caused specifically by faulty materials or workman ship, and not low maintenance, accident or intentional act.
        They will ask you to prove when it was caused or first noticed.

Claiming at the very end of a long warranty period is a lot harder, becuase proving faulty workmanship or ,material after 10 years is hard, If theirs a clear obvious fault that identify it was the workmanship or material failure, maybe it would side with you,

Thanks CC.

Once we got a contractor out and they opened up the roof, it transpired that it had never been constructed correctly in the first place, with no firrings and no attempt to lay the roof to any sort of fall.

The warranty appears to be direct with the firm, rather than through an external insurer, if that makes any difference.

I appreciate that it may well be difficult to prove the faulty workmanship to an acceptable level (although their argument to date has been that ponding/holing is not a defect, rather than any technical discussion of maintenance etc.,), but the main objective for me at the moment is to be able to lodge a money claim without exposing myself to the risk of a costs order. If I can get to the point that they've got a claim open against them, which will cost them to defend, that's the point at which I hope that some common sense will prevail and they'll see that a settlement will be cheaper than defending the claim.

I'm happy to incur the costs and time in taking it that far, as my Aunt has already agreed to pay my expenses in the matter. It's just an opportunity to try and recoup some of the other costs incurred.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X