• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Not informed of court date, no right to appeal decision.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not informed of court date, no right to appeal decision.

I am asking this question on behalf of my dad, he had a court case against a neighbour. However, his solicitor did not inform him of court dates, not once, not twice but three times. On this third time the court has obviously continued with the case without my dad or his representative been present and has resulted in him losing the case and costs and various things has been awarded to the neighbour. However, the letter he has received states he has no right to appeal.

Surely this is not the case, we have raised a case with the legal ombudsman against his solicitor, but surely it is not right that he has no right to appeal, considering my dad was not notified of any court dates etc. Is he not able to apply to get the decision set aside, or is this not possible because he has no right to appeal.

Any advice, much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hello,

First of all, what has the solicitor's response been to the failure to notify you of the 3 court dates?

Are you able to upload a copy of the letter with the personal information redacted so we can see what the letter says? Assuming this is a county court claim on the small claims track and there has been no previous appeal on the decision, I do not believe the county court has the power to refuse any right of appeal. I would be surprised if the court letter actually states that so it's important to see the wording because a lot of people make assumptions on what they think it says rather than what it actually says.

As a general point in legal proceedings, if you lose your claim then you have two opportunities to appeal. You either make an oral application on at the hearing itself as to why an appeal should be granted but if that doesn't happen or appeal is refused by the judge, you can then make a written request for permission to appeal. The grounds for appeal are very limited and I am not entirely sure whether the fact your solicitor may have been negligent are grounds for overturning the appeal - certainly that argument on its own I think won't stand as much as the court might have sympathy with the situation you are in, the right balance has to be struck between your right to have your case heard and finality of the case. If this was the first instance where a court date has been missed perhaps you could have a point, but 3 missed court dates would be concerning and not to mention the court would have to schedule a new hearing where time and resources are already scarce.

Sometimes the decisions that courts make are unfair but as I said they have to strike a balance as it's not just about your father but the neighbour too. If your father doesn't want to go down the appeal route, then the Legal Ombudsman would be the way forward, I think they have a cap of compensation that is awarded at £50k and if you accept their decision, you wont be able to sue any difference by going to court.

Alternatively, you could seek professional advice and instruct a professional negligence lawyer to take legal action against your current solicitor, possibly on a no-win no fee basis or some kind of damages based agreement where they take a cut of the compensation awarded. However, these options are only as good as the solicitor can afford to pay.

Solicitors are required to have professional indemnity insurance for these kinds of issues which is a minimum level of £2million. If it turns out the solicitor/law firm doesn't have insurance, you can possibly look at the Solicitor's Regulation Authority discretionary compensation fund for a payout if you meet the eligibility criteria.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

civil or criminal case? Was there a problem with the home address at all (recent move etc)?

Comment

Civil case, also I will try and get some correspondence to look at Rob and will update the thread

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X