• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Strike out possibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike out possibility

Hi

I have a claim against a bank who sent appears to have sent my bank details to the wrong person. It has dragged on through solicitors for months now and multiple part 36 offers rejected. I have been diagnosed with a personal injury as a result of the stress so claim is for personal injury and not distress. I am on a no win no fee basis.

There is a hearing this month to see if case will go down small claims route or fast track route.

In the meantime the defendant has messaged my solicitor and said if I drop charges now they won't charge me any fees.

As far as I was aware there wasn't to be any fees to pay to them but the way they worded it was as if I would have to pay their fees.

If it goes down fast track my solicitor has confirmed they can't charge me fees as I have had a perosnal injury so protected by the one way costs shifting and if it goes down small claims route then no liable for any of their fees.

Can anybody offer any advice?
    Tags: None

Where does the possibility of a strike-out come into this?

If your solicitor is acting on a CFA, then generally he can only charge a fee if you win.

If you lose, you may be liable to pay the defendant's costs, subject to the question whether QOCS applies.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

That’s the question. My solicitor said I should qualify for QOCS. My worry is paying defendant fees. I’m worried if the case is for some reason struck off.

this is a data protection claim.

thanks a lot for your time replying mate.

im just worried sick

Comment

Have you discussed this with your solicitor? Have you been offered adverse costs insurance?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Is that after events insurance?

yeah I have he told me not to worry they are just trying to scare me and we have to push for fast track

Comment

It is.

Your solicitor knows the case far better than we do. Do you have confidence in him?

Comment

Not really. I think they are all out to get it issued to fast track otherwise they won’t get any fees. There is a decision soon on track route and in a way I think I’d prefer small claims.

Comment

How much is after events in insurance? Do they have to honour it if I want that?

Comment

They continually state don’t worry you should have QOCS as it’s a personal injury. I am so worried about defendants costs

Comment

Can you or anybody else offer any advice?

Comment

The cost of ATE insurance depends, just as the cost of car insurance depends on things like the car, age of driver etc. In the case of ATE insurance variables include assessment of the case and amount of cover.

Comment

Does that protect against strike out?

Comment

It protects against the insured risk, in accordance with the terms of the policy.

Comment

After court has been issued is a strike out not possible? Once it has been directed to fast track or small claims?

Comment

An application to strike a claim out can be made at any time.

Has an application been made to strike your case out?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X