• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default CCJ: Paying the claimant & aiming to get it back when judgement's set aside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default CCJ: Paying the claimant & aiming to get it back when judgement's set aside

Hi All
    I wonder if anyone has any experience or knowledge relating to this. If so, any insights / info would be much appreciated.

I learned recently that I'd received a default judgement. I never got the court papers (moved address).

I've shared the details and documents with a law firm who look quite promising and experienced with this sort of stuff and they say I have a good case for having the CCJ set aside.

The date of the default judgement was 25th August. It says if I pay by 24th (tomorrow) I can get the judgement removed. Our credit ratings (wife and I) have already taken a big hit, and we want to repair them.

The law firm have suggested an approach where I pay the claimant now, but say that I'm doing it under duress / protest (just to protect my credit rating) and I don't acknowledge the debt, and let him know that I will be applying for the judgement to be set aside. They say that they can ask for a court order for him to repay the money to us as part of the setting aside application.

They say they have done this before and it should work (although actually getting the money out of him might be a separate challenge).

Another law firm I spoke to yesterday though advised me strongly not to do this because as soon as I pay, then (in line with the judgements being removed from our credit files), the judgement is marked as settled and we lose our right to make an application. However, this person was clearly junior and inexperienced, and solicitor in the first firm is clearly not - she seems to have lots of wins under her belt.

Does anybody have any knowledge of this being done??

If I am going to do this (pay the claimant to protect our credit ratings) I need to do it very soon. It's a significant (to us) amount of money.

I am hopeful of our chances of a set aside. I believe the claimant is going after the same people elsewhere with a similar approach and they are winning against him.

Thanks

Paul
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X