• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consent order correct?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent order correct?

Hello,

I am writing a new topic as it is has changed from my previous issue.
    The claimant has sent me a consent order for me to sign and they will be issuing it to court. Could anyone look at the wording to see if it fine to sign?
    The reason for setting aside is that the claim form was not delivered to the address due to post issues, it was refused at the concierge so I did not recieve it. I have a receipt of this from the court.
    The claimaint is asking for the full payment to be made first before sending the consent order to court, and does not want to change the payment to after if it is approved. Would this be a risk to me?

-UPON the Defendant having paid the Claimant the sum of (redacted total) in full and final
    settlement.

-UPON the parties agreeing that the Defendant did not receive the claim form.
    -UPON the parties agreeing, notwithstanding the above, that sufficient evidence has arisen that indicates that
    it is more likely than not that the Defendant was not in receipt of the claim form and therefore was not in a
    position to respond.
    -AND UPON the parties agreeing that, had the claim form been received, the Defendant would have
    responded to this and taken steps to satisfy the debt immediately, this amounting by virtue of authority of
    Melvin Godwin v Swindon borough Council [2002] WLR 997 to a good reason to set the Judgment
    against the Defendant aside pursuant to CPR 13.3 (1)(b)(i).

-BY CONSENT IT IS ORDERED THAT:
    -1. The Judgment entered against the Defendant on (date) be set aside.
    -2. The claim and all associated proceedings be dismissed.
    -3. There be no order as to cost.

Thank you,
    Tags: None

dslippy

a) the thing is that it's for the Judge / Court to agree to the set-a-side, although it's been consented to by the Creditor doesn't mean it will be granted,

b) the normal practice is for payment to be made after it's been set-a-side,

c) what if you pay and they don't send the consent forms? (I'm not saying they will do that).

I don't understand there insistence in payment ahead of sending the forms to the Court.

It might be possible to lodge the money with a third party, so you can show you are committed to making the payment.

Aside, the Consent Order itself looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      dslippy

a) the thing is that it's for the Judge / Court to agree to the set-a-side, although it's been consented to by the Creditor doesn't mean it will be granted,

b) the normal practice is for payment to be made after it's been set-a-side,

c) what if you pay and they don't send the consent forms? (I'm not saying they will do that).

I don't understand there insistence in payment ahead of sending the forms to the Court.

It might be possible to lodge the money with a third party, so you can show you are committed to making the payment.

Aside, the Consent Order itself looks fine.
      echat11
      Thank you for your reply. I understand that it may be rejected by the court, so hopefully the evidence is enough for them.
      I have asked if they could change the payment to after the courts decision, however they insist that it must be before they send it to court. It seems that I have to believe that they will send it to court... Once we have signed the consent order, could it be possible that they don't file it to the court?

Comment

Is the other party represented by solicitors?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          Is the other party represented by solicitors?
          Yes they are represented by a solicitors (called P D C law). I am in contact with them rather than the claimant.

Comment

You may ask the solicitors to give an undertaking that on receipt of payment they will lodge the signed consent order with the court.

Check this is a firm that is registered with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              You may ask the solicitors to give an undertaking that on receipt of payment they will lodge the signed consent order with the court.

Check this is a firm that is registered with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
              Thank you for the advice.
              I checked the Solicitors Regulation Authority website and can see that they are registered.

Would you say that the consent order should be edited to reflect the signed consent order to be sent upon receipt of of payment? Or can this be evidenced via an email exchange?

Comment

Originally posted by euennml View Post

echat11
                Thank you for your reply. I understand that it may be rejected by the court, so hopefully the evidence is enough for them.
                I have asked if they could change the payment to after the courts decision, however they insist that it must be before they send it to court. It seems that I have to believe that they will send it to court... Once we have signed the consent order, could it be possible that they don't file it to the court?
                I can't see any reason why they would, but you can never tell.

Ask them to add that to the Consent Order, so 'once payment has been made, XXXXXXX will send the Consent Order to the Court so it can be set a side'.

Comment

The order can be changed to record the undertaking.

Comment

The firm ended up changing their terms after the phone call we had. They requested us to pay first, THEN they will sign it and file it to the court. And they would not let us change the consent order. They are so inflexible.

I ended up paying first as there wasn't any other options - luckily they did file it with the court in the end.

Thank you both echat11 and atticus for the advice throughout! Will update with the court outcome when it comes out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X