• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notice of a hearing - given just 3 days in advance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of a hearing - given just 3 days in advance

I was emailed a notice of a hearing in an ongoing small claims case just 3 days before the hearing (very unusual). I am representing a company.
    First, we are in process of negotiation with the other side and are close to resolving the dispute - a technicality is in the way which will take a few weeks to resolve.
    Second, I am now abroad and will not come back by the date of the hearing, although this may not be seen as a valid reason to postpone the hearing as the hearing is remote.

I would like to postpone the hearing as it will most likely end up in settlement in a few weeks.

What would be my best option to do that?
    Tags: None

I think it shouldn't be an issue proving the other side is in agreement, but you need to act quickly. I also think the Court should move the case, without a fee being charged in this case 3 days is ridiculous, call them.

Posted for info - https://www.smallclaimscourtgenie.co...-hearing-date/

Comment

I agree, 3 days is not reasonable but having said that it depends on which track the case has been allocated to- if I recall multi-track claims allows the court to give at least 3 days notice but assuming the court has allocated this to the small claims track, the Civil Procedure Rules state that you should be given at least 21 days' prior notice (the exact reference is rule 27.4(2)(a)).

Ideally, you should confirm with the other side to agree to vacating the hearing in 3 days time so you should then be best emailing the court and copying in the other side too, explaining that you are engaged in settlement negotiations and believe that a settlement is likely to be agreed so both sides are requesting that the hearing date is vacated to allow for negotiations and fix a new trial date at least 2-3 weeks from today. If the claim is allocated to the small claims track you may want to slip in that the court has not complied with the CPR and make the reference above.

Personally, I would not rely on a simple phone call and acceptance from court staff that the hearing is or will be vacated as there have been many times where that member of staff has failed to do that for one reason or another. If you send email you have a clear record of each party's intentions but just make sure to put in the subject line something like: URGENT - Request to vacate hearing date - [Claimant Name] v [Defendant Name] (Claim No.XXXX) Hearing Date XX/XX/XXXX at XX:XX.

If you don't mark the email as urgent or fail to bring it to the court's attention, they will not deal with it in time. If you have no written confirmation that the hearing is has been vacated, then you should assume the hearing is still on and absolutely attend the hearing. Then explain to the judge on the day the situation and make a second request to vacate the hearing. For the majority of these requests, the courts will normally agree.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X