• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Late application to court setting out order I seek-what does 7 days from service mean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late application to court setting out order I seek-what does 7 days from service mean

Long story short: Entered small claim proceeding against a landscaper who did poor quality and dangerous work on our patio. Cannot afford a solicitor or any legal help and thought that with small claim one doesn't have to. Court allowed a single joint expert to report on the quality of work that has been done. Fees for this are much higher than the cost cap and I emailed the court to say that it's not feasible and reasonable to pay almost £2000 for an expert when my claim amount is £5000. Court ordered to file and serve application setting out the order I seek and any alternative expert quotation 7 days from service in order the trial date (12 October) is not put at risk.
    What does this mean, please? Have I missed the opportunity to file application? What exactly is 7 days from service? Do I have to pay for this application? I emailed the court 2 expert's I'd like to use but haven't heard anything. perhaps because I didn't pay for the application?
    Many many thanks for any help
    Tags: None

The court is telling you that it will not do this by letter, but that if you want the court to vary its previous ruling you must make an application.

Within 7 days after the day on which you received the order you describe you are to file and serve an appliction to the court to change the directions about expert evidence. You should include the details and fee quotation of any alternative expert witness that you propse should be appointed.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Recognise that in a building dispute over a few thousands, the costs are almost bound to be disproportionate.

Comment

Can I still do this after I missed the deadline of 7 days? Do I have to pay for this application?

Comment

1. You can try. No guarantees.

2. yes.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

So I can apply and pay the fee but not be allowed this, correct?

Comment

That is the nature of court applications.

Comment

Ok, last question.

After preliminary hearing the judge granted permission to instruct a single joint expert on the basis the instruction is reasonable and proportionate and is likely to assist the parties and the court. We were not able to find an expert within a lower (£400) or even higher (£750) fee cap and the court then chose the cheapest expert which is much higher than originally discussed (min. £1250 + VAT). I no longer feel this is reasonable and proportionate. I didn't seek to instruct an expert anyway, it was the defendant. Can I simply turn up at the hearing without an expert report? Or write to the court now to say min £1250+VAT isn't proportionate when claim is £5000?

Many thanks

Comment

That question was answered in your previous thread.

Comment

I appreciate you answered this previously,

'If you read the court order, I think this will say that you have permission to rely on expert evidence. If so, you are not obliged to commission or serve an expert's report. But will you be able to prove your case without expert evidence? There is a cost/benefit analysis that you will need to do'

But it's still unclear to me how can I not be obliged to serve an expert's report if the latest court's order is to file and serve application with an order I seek and quotes I want to rely on? I thought order is order which must be complied with. It's contradictory to say court gives permission to appoint a single joint expert if it's reasonable and proportionate and then chose one that's so expensive and clearly not proportionate.

Comment

Hello, I want to request adjournment but the form AC001 reads: 'A request for an adjournment can be considered only when the views of all parties have been received. It is the responsibility of the party seeking the adjournment to ensure the views of all parties are included in this form before it is lodged with the court.' Does this mean that if the defendant doesn't respond to this and express his views I cannot request an adjournment? Or if he responds saying he disagrees I cannot file the request with the court?
                      Many thanks

Comment

In reply to #10, what are the exact words of the order relating to expert evidence?

Comment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X