• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ sent to old address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ sent to old address

Hi everyone,

My partner discovered a CCJ on his credit file about a month ago, he knew nothing about it as it had been sent to an old address. Just pulling together what we should do about it. Went to Citizens Advice who suggested to contest the CCJ and to make an appointment to help fill out the N244 form. Well its been nigh on impossible to get an appointment, sat on the phone for hours not able to get through. Came on here and it has suggested to send claimant a consent to set aside order, so have written one. Question is, do we send via post or is email ok, or do both? Claimant was Lowell now Overdales.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Also, do we need to send a SAR to Lowell?

Comment

Set Aside Applican N244 if
      General application (N244) – by consent or without notice £108
      General application (N244) – application on notice £275
      wrong address then good case to set aside but means starts all over again, so tell us what it is all about? certain benefits can have it waved? How to apply for help with fees (EX160A) - GOV.UK

Comment

send letters get proof posting not email as easily lost no charge proof posting but gibe insite to claim what does it say?

Comment

Thank you, I have sent letters with proof of posting. Apparently its for 3 debts rolled into 1 CCJ, communications and utilities.

Comment

Overdales have not responded so other half will phone tomorrow to see if they are to accept or reject the consent order. Question is - if they consent to setting aside if the money owed is paid, should he accept? Or push on with the N244?

Comment

echat11 maybe able to advise

Comment

Originally posted by Foxes16 View Post
                Overdales have not responded so other half will phone tomorrow to see if they are to accept or reject the consent order. Question is - if they consent to setting aside if the money owed is paid, should he accept? Or push on with the N244?
                a) Overdales have not responded so other half will phone tomorrow to see if they are to accept or reject the consent order.

If they accept the Consent Order, then the fee is reduced (approx £100). Again make sure the Consent Order is 'sound', not 'trappy', don't pay the money until the Court approves it and think they are on your side.

b) Question is - if they consent to setting aside if the money owed is paid, should he accept?

He should accept the Consent Order, but don't make payment straightaway, make sure the correct process is followed.

c) Or push on with the N244?

No need to push on with N244.

Comment

Thanks echat11. OH spoke to Overdales just now, whilst they said they received our letter, and are at fault for sending to the wrong address, they won't accept the consent order. So they said he'd need to apply to the court. Looks like its the N244 route then...Will try and work on this today/tomorrow but we are on holiday from Wednesday for 10 days. Do you think it would be ok to submit after this? I'm worried about timescales. I have read quite a few threads (on other forums too) where others have pulled together everything required and I have to admit I find it all very confusing as it seems to be different every time, so will need some guidance. Please and thank you

Comment

This needs to be done in writing, it also gives you time to have your holiday, 'then crack on with this' when you return, you will have a response from them. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Overdale's has taken ownership in that they admit sending the letter to the wrong address, you need to write back to them, say they've admitted that the letter was sent to the wrong address, but aren't willing to do anything about it.

Tell them you want to raise a formal complaint with them about this. You are also considering making a complaint with the ICO, as they have breached Data Protection Principles by sending the letter to the wrong address (I believe you might be due compensation from Overdales).

'OH spoke to Overdales just now, whilst they said they received our letter, and are at fault for sending to the wrong address, they won't accept the consent order. So they said he'd need to apply to the court.'

Comment

Thanks again echat11, I've drafted a letter to Overdales with the above. Should I send to the complaints department or just general address? Should I give them a timescale in which they need to respond?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxes16 View Post
                        Thanks again echat11, I've drafted a letter to Overdales with the above. Should I send to the complaints department or just general address? Should I give them a timescale in which they need to respond?
                        Yes, send it to their Complaints department.

A timescale isn't necessary, as they will have complaints protocols set out on their website.

Comment

Hi echat11, we have returned home to a response from Overdales:

"We can confirm receipt of your recent correspondence.

We have noted your comments. We have been provided with the address (old address) by the original creditors. It is your obligation to keep creditors updated with your contact details. We are not instructed to have the Judgment set aside in this instance, as we are satisfied that the Judgment was entered correctly at your last known address. We can confirm your address has been updated to (current address).

You are now required to comply with the court order."

Then a load of bumph about if the CCJ is unaffordable, and agreeing affordable payment terms, providing details of income and expenditure etc... and then "Please respond by return with the requested information. Failure to respond may result in enforcement action being taken, with further costs incurred."

Nothing about the 30 day hold on the account which they said they would put on the case (and in the last letter to them).

Where do we go from here?

Comment

Can you check with the various Credit Reference Agencies, Electoral Register etc when you were listed at your new address?
                            And how that tally's up with the date that the CCJ was issued.

They need to keep to what they stated, i.e. the 30 days - account on hold.

Comment

Yes indeed, moved March 2020, added to electoral roll at new address June 2020 (Equifax states this exact month, Experian and Transunion just say not reported), CCJ issued Oct 2020

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X